Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,374   Online: 731

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Weston Dipolma Parchment

Hi All,

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with the Butler Dearden Weston Dipolma Parchment - Pat Pal paper. Until now my paper has been Arches Platine, but as of late my local (Tokyo) dealer doubled the price to nearly $15US a sheet for 22x30". They have the Weston paper instock for 1/4 the price. I have never used or even seen it.

I can get the Arches paper from B&S at half the local cost but considering the weight of the paper, shipping it over here would likely save me nothing.

I am doing mostly Kallitypes and ocassionally PT/PD.

Thanks!
    Gary
    Last edited by coriana6jp; 07-30-2009 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Lousy typing
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was using Crane's Platinotype from B&S and unfortunately it was discontinued. I tried Diploma Parchment - it was okay but not like the Crane's. I also tried Bergger COT - it was also okay and a good weight. I switched to Arches Platine when they started carrying it and it is very close to the Crane's Platinotype. The Weston paper just didn't match the others quality and did not have the wet strength. I print PT/PD/AU but not Kallitypes. I have typical images in APUG Portfolios - Jeffrey Glasser
    Jeffreyg

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would suggest that you try a small batch of the Westons paper. It completely changed a short while ago and is not as workable as it used to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can speak only for the old stock, it was fine for POP Pd BUT:
    (a) The paper's wet strength is weak, I don't recommend processing sheets larger than 11x14". (That is w/o any special/delicate handling method.)
    (b) The surface is easily abraded; you have to be delicate while brushing and processing.
    (c) The paper seems to change color after processing. (Before: warm, after: colder, more neutral...)
    Hope this helps,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks All!! I just checked with BS and the price of the paper even shipped internationally is cheaper than buying it locally. So I gues I am going to continue with Arches Plantine for now, though at a much higher price.

Thanks all.

Gary

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks All!! I just checked with BS and the price of the paper even shipped internationally is cheaper than buying it locally. So I gues I am going to continue with Arches Plantine for now, though at a much higher price.

Thanks all.
    Dpurdy (Dennis) knows the facts Gary. Arches is a bit warm but consistent. At least you have some good Fuji lenses in your neighborhood and dare i say, no i shouldn't.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Jan!

Gary

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin