Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,812   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Paper Chase

I found this interesting article that contains a little history of paper & various sizings......

http://www.si.edu/scmre/relact/specialty_papers.htm

I'm probably trying the tofu sizing as you read this!!

Cheers Annie

Annie, have you ever tried coating the paper right on top of the existing emulsion? After Michael suggested coating the back of a paper, I fixed some Ilford VC paper and want to do that, but I thought I might try to coat one on the emulsion side also.

Phil,

Yes, I have done coating on the emulsion side and my experience was that the process was finicky, inconsistent, and the image was difficult to clear. I believe that in the silver emulsion contains some kind of resin that is resistant to additional coating. Craig Koshyk who is an experienced practitoner of this type of coating gave some information here...

http://www.apug.org/site/main/viewto...bed4fa1c#22488

And here....

http://www.apug.org/site/main/viewto...0bed71bed4fa1c

My paper chase still continues..... After a polite 'kiss off' from both Bergger and Kodak I am now pursuing a recipe for the ideal Pt/Pd custom handmade paper... That way hopefully I can find the perfect pulp (a pinch of gampi for lustre!) with the perfect size and the perfect paper finish... I really like the idea of having a paper with 4 deckled edges that is dimensioned to my 7x11 negatives... You can actually have paper made to order by master papermakers for about twice the cost of 'off the rack' papers... personally, I am planning to 'hot press' my paper with metal plates through an old intaglio press.

If anyone has any ideas for the 'Perfect Platinum Paper' recipe please post!!

I had small success on the backside of the Ilford VC (kallitype). After an initial print I reduced the coating for 8x10 to 1.2ml (usually 2ml). The contrast was low so today I'll increase the pot. dichromate. But so far no significant blotchyness (granularness? 8ml pot. di. per liter) in the highlights, like I had with other papers. The detail was fairly sharp and highlights seperated well (one of my pet peeves so far). One stray stain that hopefully is random. I am going to add 0.8ml of distilled water to get the solution total back to 2ml and increase my spreading time.

printed onto the VC paper again with more dichromate. Not much contrast imrpovement.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello Annie

I am the one who use Bergger PN42 Glossy and Pn 41 half matted.... I truely prefer Pn41 to 4. The 42 give a really glossy look and I don't appreciate it. Both enhance the sharpness greatly .
    but At last I truely prefer to work with Cot320 and other fine art paper like Buxton , cappelades and so on.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Christian,

I was not aware that the Capellades mill was producing fine art papers suitable for photographic processes. Are you using these with Pt/Pd? If so, I would be very interested if you could comment on the characteristics of the Capellades papers you are using and your assessment of them in relation to other papers such as the Cot320.

Regards, Annie.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Annie,

the Cappelades paper (their lightwiegth 110 gsm) ,used for writing and book edition, work quite well for palladium platinum print. An acid bath help the paper to give better result , but it works.
    It is a laid paper available in not or Hot press, both give nice result and got a really specific felling , like the buxton.

Compare to Cot 320 the paper have more texture. I use it after applying a coat of 1% gelatin dilute in a 3% acid oxalic solution. it is a thin paper, so it is easy o work with on small print but you need the help of an plate of plexi when you print larger .

Before it was only available in 32x44 cm and 20x26 cm but since last year it si available in 56x76cm.

regards
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

I would like to try the COT 320. But for 8 x 10 negatives I wish there were other sizes available. I don't want to buy 11 x 14 for 8 x 10. Seems my coating job will have to be perfect if I use a 8 x 10 paper for a 8 x 10 negative!

Phil,

The COT-320 is available in 24x30cm from various European suppliers... (I believe Lotus carries it) that would give you a nice little border for your 8x10 negatives.

Cheers Annie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin