Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,177   Online: 1167

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Where to buy mylar sheets

You'd think this question would be one of the stickies in this sub-forum, but maybe it is, but I couldn't find it.

Where do you guys usually procure mylar sheets that will protect the negative from humidity based processes like ziatype? I assume in this day and age, online places would be preferred.

I found one vendor that kinda matches the product names, but not sure about the thickness. Any customer's story here?

Extra info on what kind to look for, thickness, etc. would also be appreciated.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can get some from Aztec. They sell it for fluid scanning film.
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice link Robert. BUT, their thinnest sheet is 0.003" (~76 microns) and for best (=sharpest) results one has to keep the thickness of the sheet at or below 0.002" (~50 microns). I mean: Just know that 0.003" against 0.002" will make a perceptible difference on fine hot press paper. OTOH, I was using Photowarehouse Ultrafine Crystal Clear OHP (which is 0.003" thick) for the same purpose without much complaint...

My 2c,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    Nice link Robert. BUT, their thinnest sheet is 0.003" (~76 microns) and for best (=sharpest) results one has to keep the thickness of the sheet at or below 0.002" (~50 microns). I mean: Just know that 0.003" against 0.002" will make a perceptible difference on fine hot press paper. OTOH, I was using Photowarehouse Ultrafine Crystal Clear OHP (which is 0.003" thick) for the same purpose without much complaint...

My 2c,
    Loris.
    You know Loris I've used the the Ultrafine OHP to do the same for gum printing and it works okay but ultra thin mylar produces sharper prints compared to the Ultrafine material, unfortunately more expensive. But in a pinch the UCC OHP will work okay.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the ink receptor layer cause the light to diffuse indeed. Have you tried to strip the receptor layer with chlorox and such? (I haven't, just came into my mind...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey loris,
    i think you've mentioned before that you occasionally order from european mailorders. do you know a source for yupo, mylar and other synthetic materials? i couldn't find any so far. none of the usual arts suppliers (boesner,kremer) seem to carry the stuff. i found only one source (europapier - they even have a dependence in austria), but i don't know yet, if they'll only sell in bulk or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchase Yupo locally for a good price (70x100cm 250micron sheet per USD 0.80)... I don't use mylar; I had purchased two 100 sheet boxes of 11x17" Photowarehouse Ultrafine Crystal Clear OHP film (USD 0.75 per sheet), I use one of these when I need to. For synthetic backing I use Yupo...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I get a 2ml mylar roll from Talas- works great for printing carbon without any loss of image sharpenss, odd UV blocking, excessive static, etc. 1mil might be difficult to work with. Not sure if they have 2ml thickness in sheets though- you could try Hollinger archival supplies. Some are using those crystal clear print bags from Jerry's Artarama-But I think they are around 3-4 mil.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin