Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,579   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

rating Kodak HIE

I'm racing out the door, and loaded some HIE. How should I rate it? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may want to start out at 50 with a 25 red or 29 red filter and bracket some. Before you raced out the door I hope you loaded the film in complete darkness.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I meter through the filter, I set the ASA at 200. What works in bright sun is usually f16 at 1/125. Both were gotten from Laurie White's book on IR and both have worked for me in the past.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on the meter. I found that my meters worked better at EI 400 when metering through the filter.

HIE will have some base fog by now, though, even if frozen so you might need to use a lower EI and compensate in the processing.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm a fan of f/11 and 125th. Good depth and a full stop more exposure in the shadows. Remember, your highlights will get all the exposure they need. Its the shadows that will need the extra exposure from a dark filter on the front.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I rate it at 680 iso using a 25 red filter I then bracket two thirds of a stop either side of it. I set my aperture at f16 and spot meter with my camera (OM4Ti). My lens of choice is the 24 mm so no problem with DOF. I develop it in ID11 (1+1) for 13 mins. All 3 negs are printable I just pick the easy one. Check out my recent IR work especially my work taken in Northern Ireland.

Cheers
    TEX

Images
    Thanks to all of you... however I didn't get any of the answers before I had to leave. I googled the question and came up with 400 - then when I got there I didn't find my doggone filters till I was leaving! My son had put the bag in the trunk and I thought he'd not put it in the car at all. I shot a few frames just for the heck of it. Ha. Oh well. Next time I'll be ready.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Without the filter you will have grainy negs with no IR effects. Better luck next time.

Cheers
    TEX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    Thanks to all of you... however I didn't get any of the answers before I had to leave. I googled the question and came up with 400 - then when I got there I didn't find my doggone filters till I was leaving! My son had put the bag in the trunk and I thought he'd not put it in the car at all. I shot a few frames just for the heck of it. Ha. Oh well. Next time I'll be ready.
    Sadly, the reason that I always pack my gear. Next time you will be ready and it will be a better experience.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin