Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,929   Online: 854

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    I wonder what the reasoning behinde this was. Could it be that they just did not know better?
    I love questions like this!

If they didn't have very pure filters with which to test the spectral sensitivity, then they may have confused themselves interpreting the results of testing. Prisms were certainly available to separate colors in the 1850s, but diffraction gratings, while invented in the very late 1700s, did not become somewhat available until ruling engines were successfully built in the very late 1800s.

I'm reminded of the show "Connections". To quote The Human League and their song, "The Black Hit of Space", perhaps we need to
    "Get James Burke on the case..."
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, first off even good spectrophotometers can develop harmonics and mine, withou a UV filter, will pass UV in the red region. I have commented on this before. Maxwell achieved color but that was an error due to "leaky" filters, so one cannot say what went on over 100 years ago in this area of photography without a lot of speculation.

Then too, the high iodide content may just be due to the lack of crystal modifications developed in the early part of this last century which includes Ammonia digest and ripening.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin