Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,057   Online: 847

Thread: Coating woes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Coating woes?

My first ry at salt printing has ended with a streaked blotchy mess. As near as I can tell I didn't get an adequate coating of the salt compound i.e. there is an overall image but some areas are a deep brown and loo good but the rest are a very weak milky tan. I assume is the milky tan is just the sensitizer without the salt.
    I am using arches platine and applied the salt (ammonium chloride and sodium citrate)with an acrylic rod as I did the sensitizer and the coating looked even.
    I did however have a lot of trouble with trying to get it even. Should I switch to a brush for the salt? double coat one or both salt and sensitizer? Put extra sizing on the paper?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may need a surfactant to assist in spreading the chemicals.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    I am using arches platine and applied the salt (ammonium chloride and sodium citrate)with an acrylic rod as I did the sensitizer and the coating looked even.
    I did however have a lot of trouble with trying to get it even. Should I switch to a brush for the salt? double coat one or both salt and sensitizer? Put extra sizing on the paper?
    I would suggest that you try the Richeson 9010 brush. It is the favorite brush of many people who hand coat with processes such as salted paper, vandyke, kallitype, and pt/pd. I find it much easier to get a good coat with the Richeson brush than with a rod, and especially for large prints.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format

coating salt prints

You might try coating with a wad of cotton. That's what we use (when we choose to coat by brushing v. floating). Like anything of these methods, it takes a little practice. Use large wad of cotton, make sure you soak the cotton well; brush in several directions to ensure you get rid of any puddles. Wait before drying to let it spread. Don't expect great results when you're first learning, this is technique-dependant.

My husband, Mark has been using the same paper as you (Platine) and has good results with coating this way.

I tried to attach one of his prints, but don't see it in the preview. (first time trying this... :o). If you don't see it, you can email me and I'll send you a jpeg.
    Best,
    France

Scully & Osterman Studio
    Rochester, NY 14620
    http://www.collodion.org
    sculloster@gmail.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin