Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,496   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    It looks like the box was opened. Have you looked to see what's inside? Maybe they put something else in the box.

John
    The OP & the photo's show the seals are intact

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know that Ctein will use all the paper donations he can get. He stockpiled 15 years worth of this stuff when Kodak cut the sale of this product in the early 90s. This stuff has indefinite shelf life while the film itself, called pan masking film, needs to be frozen to last. This stuff is useless without experience, pan masking film, and the proper dyes, and registration equipment. There are instructions to replicate these materials though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I would further that.

Give it to an experienced DT worker. Experimenting with it is just wasting a very valuable item to no purpose. You might use up all of the paper learning, but when done, there is no more paper! No one is coating it due to the toxic nature of the coating process and the lack of market.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Yes, I would further that.

Give it to an experienced DT worker. Experimenting with it is just wasting a very valuable item to no purpose. You might use up all of the paper learning, but when done, there is no more paper! No one is coating it due to the toxic nature of the coating process and the lack of market.

PE
    PE,

What makes the manufacture of these fibre base papers for dye transfer printing more toxic than conventional silver gelatin paper manufacture?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The paper used depleted Thorium Nitrate as one ingredient. This material is quite harmless to humans except as a heavy metal, but the mild radiation makes for arduous cleanup in the coating room or a special dedicated coater.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes...I must agree with what some people have stated above: Please donate it to someone who can make stunning prints with it (e.g. Ctein). It won't do you any good by itself. Nice find, now let's get it into the right hands.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm certainly not going to do anything with it myself - I've no experience in any sort of paper processing, and would likely muck everything up. My boss (I work at a photo lab) wants to sell it, so perhaps I will put a classified ad up.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    No one is coating it due to the toxic nature of the coating process and the lack of market.
    Filmotec is making Dye Transfer paper.

Though I don't know how it compares to the late Kodak one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Filmotec is making Dye Transfer paper.

Though I don't know how it compares to the late Kodak one.
    The only thing I am aware of is through comments by Ctein and Jim Browning that there are currently no suitable substitutes. The last I discussed that with them was about a year ago, so if this has taken place since, the situation may be different. IDK at all.

Not many want to use Thorium Nitrate, and substitutes seem to have been rather poor in the past.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's on the Filmotec website for quite some time. I've never seen it or heard anyone comment on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin