Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,260   Online: 870

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    What process are you using this material for?

John

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sounds to me like Bromoil, John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carbon Transfer, tray sensitizing.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    In general, Ammonium Dichromate will give you more sensitivity but less contrast than Potassium Dichromate

John

potassium dichromate and DEA form

Thanks for bringing this to everybodys attention.
    But as what sometimes happens on forums, some mis information has been transmitted and must be corrected. if I may.
    I am holding in my hands a hard copy titled as follows;
    US Dept of Justice
    Drug enforcement Administration
    Office of Diversion Control
    Chemical Investigation Section

SPECIAL SURVEILLANCE LIST
    Published Pursuant to title 21 USC 842 (a) (11)

Under special suveilllance list #19 Potassium Dichromate

That list has 27 different compounds that require a DEA form to purchase.
    There are another 34 compounds that are listed chemicals.

Under products used to create Meth that could at sometime require a DEA form but apparantly don't now, I will give some examples;
    coffee filters
    Bedsheets
    Aluminum foil
    cooking oil
    Champagne bottles
    Cream of tartar
    Drain cleaner
    Inhalers (especially Vicks)
    platinum
    mineral spirits
    road flares
    vinegar
    striking pads on matchbook covers
    lye
    lithium batteries
    And the list goes on and on. You may see all of this at http://home.leo.gov/tha/drugs/grugs.htm

Does anybody have any of the above list around your home, business, or even worse your darkroom?

Why do we require a DEA form? because the Government tells us we have to.
    What happens to the DEA form after we recieve it? It goes into a file cabinet in our office. No it does not get forwarded to the DEA. (YET)

Why do we require and Bostick and Sullivan doesn't? I don't know but maybe they can join this discussion and we will find out.

Also someone made the comment that the Formulary probably had an incident or accident,(probably mis quoted), no that is not the case, we just like to do things the right and legal way to avoid any incidents or accidents and avoid some guy with sunglasses and a badge that says DEA showing up at our door.

If someone would like to discuss this with someone in charge at the DEA;
    e-mail cooimgmi@ndicosa
    homepage http:/ndicosa

I could rant alot more about this and Government Regs that may or may not be good for ours and other industries but I won't take up APUG'S storage space.

Thanxs
    Bud

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1) The stupid thing is that a proper meth lab won't have ANY problems getting what they need.
    2) A properly trained chemist will know how to substitute around any of these lists.
    3) The addled tweaker who thinks that WOW I can be a drug lord hasn't got the brain cells left to work out what to do with a full pallette of synthetic chemicals if he could get hold of 'em anyway.

These lists are what is known as "The Theatre of Security", which is a posh way of describing the true motive.

(I'm number 2 on the list above BTW, and its instructive to enlighten credulous people who believe all the BS, how, if someone puts their mind to it, practically ANY collection of household items can be used for nefarious purposes. It gives their certainties a bit of a shake to put it politely)
    Last edited by Aurum; 09-08-2009 at 12:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bud, thank you for coming on and opening up the discussion. I did some research over the weekend and decided to purchase my chemicals from your company. Sherry sent me an email this morning saying she got my ID and since I only have a scanner and not a fax machine the fax was not readable so I have the DEA form right here in an envelope with a stamp on it. What bothers me is that eBay has the chemicals, no ID, no DEA, anybody can order them. A nut case or a child it doesn't matter. I didn't know about its use in Meth until a few days ago and I also found that it can be lethal which is reason enough to make sure it is used by responsible individuals. If you want to dot the i's and cross the t's it's all right with me.

Best regards,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

potassium dichromate and dea form

Thanxs Curt, it nice to have confirmation that we are doing things rite and if we do there will be support for it.

Ebay is a whole other subject. I think it is a matter of time and you will see that change. It is just that our enforcement personel are chasing the "big guys" in the drug business and not the little guys. Some on Ebay don't have any idea what they are selling.

FYI our company policy includes that if you ask for a product as a food additive, we won't sell it to you, if you ask for a product for for lotions or soaps to use on your skin, we won't "knowingly sell it to you". We sell Photo
    chemicals to photographers, and the DEA forms help us know.

We also find that when someone balks at the DEA form, they probably aren't using the product for photography anyway. So go get it somewhere else.

Anyone that personally knows me or has actually met me knows that I am not someone that agrees with the government gathering information on the general public, and that is what this DEA form looks like and seems to be doing. But as I said prior, They go into OUR file cabinet, and we do not forward to DEA. But I suppose if the guy in sunglasses with a DEA badge shows up he will get access to the file cabinet.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't!!!!!!!!

Thanxs
    Bud

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One never knows when some Unibomber-type is going to try and buy chemicals.

Anyway, it seems like the Feds need a way to keep track of the people that are unwilling to fill out those forms...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I sent in the form for potassium dichromate several years back and it's still on file- just got some more a few weeks back with no problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin