Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,235   Online: 1188

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Potassium Dichromate

Where is the best place to order 1 lb of Potassium Dichromate in the US?

Thank you,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bostick & Sullivan has it.
    Keep in mind it's now classified as a Hazardous Material and you need HAZMAT shipping that adds $25 to the cost. (same with all the dichromates)

You'll save more if you live in a metro area where you can buy it locally and pick it up in person. Or if you know someone in a university chem department who can order it for you.

Because I had a big supply of mine I haven't bought any since everyone has gotten so picky about the stuff.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second Bostick & Sullivan. For some reason, Photographer's Formulary requires you to fill out a DEA form for potassium dichromate but not for ammonium dichromate... no idea why that's the case though.

Ash

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen more restrictions on Potassium Dichromate vs. Ammonium as well. I believe PD is considered more reactive. Until recently AD did not require hazmat shipping. But classifications change.

I really don't understand the DEA form from Photographer's Formulary. It would seem that if that form is really legally required, then everyone should require it. Curious.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't get it either. Since it's a federal agency, I'd imagine all distributors would have to comply. Since the DEA is involved, could it be that PD is a starting reagent for some "infernal" reaction?

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really don't understand the DEA form from Photographer's Formulary. It would seem that if that form is really legally required, then everyone should require it. Curious.
    Exactly.

I don't get it either. Since it's a federal agency, I'd imagine all distributors would have to comply. Since the DEA is involved, could it be that PD is a starting reagent for some "infernal" reaction?
    Exactly II.

Thanks for the replies Ash and John, it seemed like an anomaly to me, the further I researched into it the more vague it became. All I can surmise is that the Photographer's Formulary must have had some problem or incident with the chemical or it's end use.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Some hazardous materials can be shipped without the hazmat fee provided they are in small enough quantities. KD should be available in 1 lb. quantities without the charge provided it's not going by air. PF seems to the the outlier WRT the DEA form for KD purchases.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I understand it, Pot. Dichromate is an ingredient in home-cooked meth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pottasium Dichromate is a hexavalent chromium compound. As well as ingestion and inhalation, it can also be absorbed through the skin. Google toxicity for a heads up. IIRC I remember reading that it also is capable of burning under certain circumstances ( not something we have to worry about).
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ammonium Dichromate doesn't have the DEA requirement that Potassium Dichromate does, would this be a better substitution? It's used for spirit sensitizing and uses less than tray sensitizing in Potassium Dichromate.

Curt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin