Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,409   Online: 780

Thread: film and fixer

Shooter
    4x5 Format

film and fixer

I'm jumping feet first in trying alternative ways to produce an image without using a camera. Want to try brushing fixer on film then exposing to light from my enlarger, what happens to the emulsion? How do I modify developer chemicals for the Jobo drum? What's the best way to clean the brush after contaminating it with fixer? Do I have to wait for the fixer to dry before sliding it in my film holder for the Jobo drum? I work with 4x5 T-Max 100 Iso.

Thanks for your assistance, I'm sure they'll be more questions as I head down this road of experimental fun.

Trudee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trudee yama View Post
    I'm jumping feet first in trying alternative ways to produce an image without using a camera. Want to try brushing fixer on film then exposing to light from my enlarger, what happens to the emulsion? How do I modify developer chemicals for the Jobo drum? What's the best way to clean the brush after contaminating it with fixer? Do I have to wait for the fixer to dry before sliding it in my film holder for the Jobo drum? I work with 4x5 T-Max 100 Iso.

Thanks for your assistance, I'm sure they'll be more questions as I head down this road of experimental fun.

Trudee
    Truly alternative, I'm impressed.

I can only answer one question:

If you dedicate the brush to the fixer and do not use it for anything else, rinse and wash immediately after use to avoid fixer hardening. That should be good enough.

Well maybe one more:

Many people recommend to reduce the inversion-technique film development times by 10% for the Jobo due to the increase in agitation. I did all my film tests with the Jobo, so I dont have this conversion issue.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fixer removes the emulsion. A short, brushed fix and rinse will streak the film/paper, so could provide a creative element. I've wiped fixer with a rag around the edges of paper prior to exposure to give me a streaked, ragged edge treatment, and it looks kinda cool with some images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    Fixer removes the emulsion. A short, brushed fix and rinse will streak the film/paper, so could provide a creative element. I've wiped fixer with a rag around the edges of paper prior to exposure to give me a streaked, ragged edge treatment, and it looks kinda cool with some images.
    Cool idea. Can you show an example?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    a different take on "chemical painting" interesting
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Cool idea. Can you show an example?
    I'll see if I can dig one up.

D.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin