Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,151   Online: 1121

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What lenses are you using for wet plate?

I am s-l-o-w-l-y gathering what I need for working with wet plate collodion. In the beginning I will be using lenses I have on hand, all modern designs. I am curious what APUG wet plate practitioners are using for various size plates and the coverage of the particular lens. Also which vintage lenses cover 11x14 as I plan to work my way up to that size plates in the future.

Thanks for any and all replies in advance.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    What application/type of image do you want? Do you want it very sharp? or with more fall-off around the edges, as with a portrait lens? We can probably find a list in a 19th c. catalog here somewhere, if given more info.

I mostly make 8 x 10" collodion negatives (for both my Sleep and Bed series) and shoot with a portrait lens, a Dallmeyer 3B.

France
    Scully & Osterman Studio
    Rochester, NY 14620
    http://www.collodion.org
    sculloster@gmail.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For 8x10 I use a Dallmeyer 2B, because I like it slightly wider, for 5x8 I use a Dallmeyer WA Rectilinear 1a. The 1a is sharp (because of small stops) and the 2B swirly wide open

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scully & Osterman View Post
    What application/type of image do you want? Do you want it very sharp? or with more fall-off around the edges, as with a portrait lens? We can probably find a list in a 19th c. catalog here somewhere, if given more info.

I mostly make 8 x 10" collodion negatives (for both my Sleep and Bed series) and shoot with a portrait lens, a Dallmeyer 3B.

France
    First thanks for responding. I am a fan of your work. I really enjoy what I have seen of the the Sleep and Bed series. I greatly appreciate your efforts in reviving the wet plate process.

I like the look of vintage lenses, especially with regards to portraits. Even though I plan to use modern lenses such as my 355 G-Claron with 11x14 I am interested in what vintage lenses such as Rectilinears, Darlots, Dallmeyers, etc cover that format.

Is there a resource that provides specifications for vintage lenses? Maybe they are listed somewhere on the LF Photography site but I could not find it.
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html

Lots of info there on old Wollensaks and Dallmeyers as well as others. An old lens that will cover 11x14 is going to be pretty difficult to find and probably expensive as well. Your best bet is probably an older Rapid Rectilinear. They will be be much smaller than a Petzval of the same vintage (ca. 1870s).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Anton and Joseph for the links. Great resources!
    Robert Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin