Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,268   Online: 817

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Troubleshooting Salt Prints

Am trying to get the hang of salt printing but have run into a couple of road blocks. Most of my attemps so far have resulted in huge patches that print mauve instead of deep red/brown. I thought it was my coating technique with the salt solution so I switched to immersing the paper in the salt/gelatin. I ave used both brush and rod. Looks like a good even coat with about 1ml of sensitizer for a 5X7 print.
    Am I using too little sensitizer? Or is the paper not dry enough when I go to print. I read in "Coming into focus" that paper not completely dry will do this. There is an image on the entire sensitized surface with great detail so I feel I am getting it coated evenly. Do I need to double coat?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The problem sounds like it is related to insufficient or uneven drying based on my experience. Another concern is that a print somewhat damp from sensitizing may transfer the sensitizer to the negative and ruin it. Thin sheets of mylar can prevent that if sandwiched between the negative and print.

I've always had better results double-coating. Also, a 20% silver nitrate solution seems to work better than a 12% solution. Salt prints need an excess of silver and the stronger solution ensures that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering about double coating since I use that technique for cyanotypes. My next attempt will be double coated. thanks again
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    "Doublecoating?" Does that simply mean coating the paper twice with the silver nitrate solution? Just curious....I will be trying salt printing soon myself...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, Tom. Usually one allows the first coat to dry -- or close to dry -- before doing the second coat.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin