Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,191   Online: 1160
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: 26-IK info

  1. #11
    dlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,627
    Images
    340
    Is the Ushio metal halide bulb a direct replacement for a mercury vapor bulb? Any adjustments required to the circuitry of my unit (Amergraph V28)?

    Thanks,
    Daniel

  2. #12
    AshenLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by dlin View Post
    Is the Ushio metal halide bulb a direct replacement for a mercury vapor bulb? Any adjustments required to the circuitry of my unit (Amergraph V28)?

    Thanks,
    Daniel
    I was actually wondering this as well. I would think the strike current would be lower for metal halide as opposed to mercury vapor. I was also wondering if the spectral output of the metal halide bulb would have an effect on integrator calibration. Not a huge issue since I'd run calibrations again after replacing the bulb, but it would be interesting to know.

    Ash

  3. #13
    Michael Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    516
    Just broke the upper filter glass on my 26-1K today. I think what happened was that there was a small contact printing frame resting on the top of the box, and it partially covered the fan. The exposure was particularly long, 300 joules with a very dense negative a student had made. The glass shattered while a group of 9th graders was in the same room processing their film. It scared the crap out of them. So...the lesson is, don't block the fan, even just a little. You might have 'shattering' results. Now, to order a new one. Ugh.
    Michael Slade

  4. #14
    Michael Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    516
    Seems that my bulb no longer works. I think the glass breaking might have been the last straw... I think the fuse is OK b/c I can hear the switch working on the inside of the unit, the bulb doesn't go on however...

    Ordered that Ushia replacement bulb today. Hopefully that solves the problem.
    Michael Slade

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    Seems that my bulb no longer works. I think the glass breaking might have been the last straw... I think the fuse is OK b/c I can hear the switch working on the inside of the unit, the bulb doesn't go on however...

    Ordered that Ushia replacement bulb today. Hopefully that solves the problem.
    Michael,

    You can replace the upper glass with tempered glass which should be available locally.

    Sandy King

  6. #16
    Michael Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    516
    Thanks Sandy. Should I worry about that slight patch of ND filter that is on the factory glass? I was thinking of putting a 5% patch there JIC...but wasn't sure if it was necessary.

    Just ordered Arentz's new book. I look forward to reading your chapter.


    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Michael,

    You can replace the upper glass with tempered glass which should be available locally.

    Sandy King
    Michael Slade

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    Thanks Sandy. Should I worry about that slight patch of ND filter that is on the factory glass? I was thinking of putting a 5% patch there JIC...but wasn't sure if it was necessary.

    Just ordered Arentz's new book. I look forward to reading your chapter.

    Hi Michael,

    The purpose of the ND patch is to even the light over the entire printing area so it would not be a bad idea to replicate the patch if feasible.

    Many NuArc 26-1k(s) units don't have anything to even out the light. My Amergraph ULF-28 has nothing on the tempered glass, but there are patches on the reflector above the glass. I had a 26-1k in the past and it had nothing to even out the light, but the coverage was still excellent at about 20" circel.

    Sandy





    Sandy

  8. #18
    Michael Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    516
    I will make a small ND filter and glue it into position when I replace the glass tomorrow. I cut some picture frame glass but will order some tempered glass also. IIRC the ND filter was about 1 inch by 2 inches? Maybe it was closer to 1/2 x1 1/2? Can someone measure theirs? It probably doesn't need to be exact.
    Michael Slade

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    I will make a small ND filter and glue it into position when I replace the glass tomorrow. I cut some picture frame glass but will order some tempered glass also. IIRC the ND filter was about 1 inch by 2 inches? Maybe it was closer to 1/2 x1 1/2? Can someone measure theirs? It probably doesn't need to be exact.
    Michael,

    Just to keep you on alert, the purpose of the *tempered* glass is to prevent damage from the high heat generated by the HID lamp.

    Sandy

  10. #20
    Michael Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Michael,

    Just to keep you on alert, the purpose of the *tempered* glass is to prevent damage from the high heat generated by the HID lamp.

    Sandy
    OH absolutely, I'm definitely clear on that (pun intended). My factory glass wasn't tempered and so I figure that this temporary piece of glass will do fine for a while until I can get a tempered sheet ordered.
    Michael Slade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin