Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,258   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Before I started using the plexi, my registration was kind of hit and miss. I would think it was ok, and later find out I was off by a fraction. D'oh!
    Fabriano artistico should not be shrinking like that. I've never noticed it shrinking at all, that's why people like it for gum.
    I don't use a pin registration system. I can easily register the paper on the plexi substrate, especially if I print registration marks on my digi negs. If you're using analog negs, just carefully mark the corners with a pencil after you print your first layer. Then line up subsequent layers to those marks.
    Don, I use a fairly thick plexi for larger prints, and thin stuff for small prints. It seems the thinner stuff sometimes bows a little, so I like the thicker material. Sorry I don't remember the exact thicknesses. I got it off the shelf at Lowes.

Xandros, when you peel the paper off of the plexiglass, the paper comes off clean and the tissue sticks to the plexi. You can then take a razor blade and scrape the tissue off of the plexi and it's ready to go again!

Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tips Steve ! I now have to find someplace to buy this in Belgium

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandros View Post
    I tried fabriano artistico, somerset, hahnemuhle, BFK Rives and finally set to Lanaquarelle cold press (all of them are 300g/m)
    I pre-shrink by putting sheets into hot water (about 40-50°C) for one hour (the water cools down to about 30°C by then), hang to dry, repeat.
    Then size using gelatin + hardener (2 layers with drying in-between, with single layer sizing the whites are not perfectly clear after a few layers of gum. maybe I should size once, print 2 layers of gum, then re-size ?).
    I don't have a light box, so punching works for now
    When you shrink your paper do you interleave the sheets occasionally to make sure they are all fully soaked?

Don
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post

Xandros, when you peel the paper off of the plexiglass, the paper comes off clean and the tissue sticks to the plexi. You can then take a razor blade and scrape the tissue off of the plexi and it's ready to go again!

Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    That's a really great tip Steve. Thanks!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes Don, I move & switch their places about every 15 minutes during the soaking phase

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandros View Post
    Yes Don, I move & switch their places about every 15 minutes during the soaking phase
    Well as Steve said, I've never had that much shrikage with FAEW. I also use Rives BFK and it does shrink a bit more but visual registration with both papers usually isn't a problem with sizes up to about 8x10.

Good luck,

Don
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to everyone, i'll try fixing those issues somehow

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not even shrinking my Fabriano. I just take it straight out of the package. The beauty of mounting to plexi, is that it stops shrinkage, and it stays perfectly flat for all your registration needs.
    When you re-heat and peel your paper off the plexi, it will curl up like crazy. Just put it back into the press, turn it off, and let it sit til it all cools. This flattens it pretty well. Make sure you put something like wax paper or parchment between the press and the back of your paper. If you don't the residual adhesive may stick to your press!
    I also mount the finished print to another piece of paper for support.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    I forgot to mention, when you mount the paper to the tissue, you must cover the entire surface of the paper. Not just the corners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well guys, I'm with Alex here -> somehow, my 300gsm Fabriano Artistico seems to do the same (change dimension considerably, even at A4 image size) even after a good deal of shrinking. The problem is not the paper, it's the thickening gum layer... You'll see a relief of the darkest tones (thicker gum layer) on the back of the paper. Gum shrinks when drying therefore the paper shrinks along with the image...

The only remedies I can think of are a) affixing the paper to a dimensionally stable support or b) using a heavier gsm (450, 600 or more ....) paper.

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the hint Loris, makes sense to me that in fact it's the gum that shrinks. Maybe more layers but thinner would work around this ?

Also, would it be enough to use long strips of tissue to glue it along the 4 borders only, not the whole surface ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin