Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,748   Online: 1097

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I posted a little problem regarding dry mounting here :

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/6...um-europe.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well... some thoughts:

Paper is always going to expand when it's wet and contract as it dries, whether it's been preshrunk or not. The issue for registering is that when you print again, the paper should be the same size as when you printed it before. When I was printing a great lot of tricolor in the 90s, I could tell precisely by the *feel* of the paper when it was just the right dry to register, but I'm using a different paper now and don't have the same feel for this paper, so I have to judge by trial and error, by setting the negative on the print and looking to see if it matches. If the dried print is bigger than the negative, then it needs to dry some more; if it's smaller than the negative, it's got too dry and I dampen it til it matches.

As for the relief on the back, that only happens with some papers. It never happened with the Arches traditional that I used for 15 years or so; the back of a finished print was as smooth and flat as new paper, no matter how thick the gum on the front was, but it's very pronounced with the Arches bright white I use now. I don't think it has to do with the *gum* shrinking as it dries, but with the *paper* shrinking differentially with the thickness of the gum layer, and is related to characteristics of the paper itself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok ! in my case the paper is smaller after 3 layers, so I'll try the back-dampening method !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Only after the third layer the paper shrinks, not after the first and second soakings? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. But never mind me, carry on....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just mean it gets noticeable enough after the 3rd layer. I print A4 size for now, and when I register the negative after 2 completed layers, if I register top left corner, then look at the bottom right corner there's about 1 millimeter off. So that would be about 1mm off for 366mm (diagonal), so that's about 0.27% shrinkening. I would say that I have the feeling that it keeps shrinking a bit more with each layer, but less and less, the first layers seems to make it the most noticeable. Does this make more sense to you ? I should have been more precise..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, that does make more sense to me, thanks, and as I said, never mind me, I was just making a passing comment, probably not all that helpful. Although I haven't seen that myself, the paper getting smaller and smaller with each subsequent printing, it does make some logical sense that it might. Do carry on, you're doing just fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Xandros,
    I use a sheet of tissue only slightly smaller than the paper. And that is only so I have something to grab onto when I'm peeling the paper off the plexi. But it essentially covers the entire back of the paper. I think if you only use strips of tissue when mounting to the substrate, you would have all kinds of weird contracting going on. A full sheet is what makes the paper dimensionally stable.
    Again, I take the paper right out of the package. No preshrinking at all. When mounted on the solid, flat substrate (plexiglass), registration is a snap.
    I use Fabriano Artistico Extra White, and I have not noticed any kind of relief on the back.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin