Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,319   Online: 964

Shooter
    Multi Format

Formulary TF-4 and Kallitype

Hi All,

It seems to me that all kallitype fixers contain an alkaline component to minimize bleaching. Using sodium thiosulfate and ammonium hydroxide is okay but a bit on the, umm, aromatic side. Has anyone used TF-4 or an equivalent alkaline fixer for kallitypes and if so what was your experience?

Thanks,

Ash

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used TF-2 fixer ( see Darkroom Cookbook for recipe). I believe it was Wolfgang Moersch who recommeded an alkaline fixer for Kallitypes. It really did help on the bleaching.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    I used TF-2 fixer ( see Darkroom Cookbook for recipe). I believe it was Wolfgang Moersch who recommeded an alkaline fixer for Kallitypes. It really did help on the bleaching.
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response. I'll look TF-2 up and give it a try. The ammonia fumes really get to me even with more than adequate ventilation...

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alkali fixer isn't a good idea with any of iron/silver processes IMHO; you risk forming iron hydroxide in the paper (if not cleared well), which will eventually break havoc with the silver image... Try to mix something neutral (if you want to fiddle that is), not too alkali (iron hyrdroxide risk) or too acid (dissoving silver nano particles = bleaching).

FWIW, I was using 2% plain sodium thiosulfate (for 2 minutes) with my Vandykes; perfect fixing (they're still in very good condition after 5 years) and "no bleaching"... To me it seems that people experience fixer bleaching with iron/silver processes because of using stronger than needed fixer strength and/or longer than needed fixing time. Hint: Actual unreacted silver salt content of paper (after rinse and clear stages) is very low with iron/silver processes; therefore you actually need very little fixer to get rid of the remainder.

My rule of thumb is "2 minutes in 2 percent". (Fresh fixer, I change the fixer every 3 8x10" print; gets in solution very quickly and it's cheap, so I don't bother with trying to "faire des économies"...)

My 2c,
    Loris.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have used T4 fixer exclusively for kallitype. i actually like the results and no bleaching even with times extended to 4 minutes. Also , washing is complete in less than 30 minutes. Archival treatment includes palladium toning....

Miles
    Miles :
    cherish light

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin