Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,082   Posts: 1,635,652   Online: 1105

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Colin,
    Well, I can't answer with much more accuracy than that. I also have never sized an entire sheet. My advice would be to not get too caught up in measuring the coverage of this stuff. Just mix up a decent amount (I mix 1:2, so say, 25ml:50ml) and go. Whatever you have left, put it in a bottle with a lid and use it later. When my bottle gets low, I just mix some more.
    I brush it on with an old Hake brush, but a foam brush would probably work as well. One coat, let it dry just to a sheen, then another coat. Let it dry for a few hours and you're ready to go.
    Good luck,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    How do you mix up the glyoxal to use as hardener? I've seen directions to use it in the same proportion to use as the formalin, but the glyoxal comes as a powder, not as a liquid, so how do you mix it to get it to the same strength?
    Where are you getting it as a powder? B&S sells a 40% solution, so I'd suggest mixing it up that way.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Maybe I'm just confused - I got my glyoxal from B&S, and I'm just getting the bottle confused with something else.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks Paul and Steve for the info. I was mainly trying to get an idea of the cost vs gelatin. I've been getting some staining with glyoxal and have some glutaraldehyde on the way but might try the PVA out if that's too much of a pain to use.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Has anyone tried a run-of-the-mill white pva glue like Elmer's Glue-all for sizing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Has anyone tried a run-of-the-mill white pva glue like Elmer's Glue-all for sizing?
    i myself of course haven't, since the stuff isn't sold here. but... i remembered that sandy king once mentioned the stuff in the b&s forum. iirc it didn't work for him.

here's the link:
    link

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes, I'd forgotten that it wasn't very waterproof! Thanks for the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a 3min video going from just having set everything out to coat to a finished coat of full strength Gamblin PVA Size (I like the semi-luster feel of the full strength). Once the print is hung it's ready to be printed on in 5-15 minutes depending on how long it takes to full dry.

Also, I coated a second image, but the digi-camera I was taking the video with died on me. In the first video I should NOT have gone back to the PVA with the foam brush for a 3rd time as I didn't need more PVA and that's why it takes me so long to brush it smooth--too much solution. The whole process, when you don't use too much PVA, takes less than 1/2 the amount of time this coating did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqGTDS5RNO0

Gamblin PVA Size full strength, $0.99 foam brush, the highest density foam roller you can get at Lowe's, Rives BFK with the palladium image already printed.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin