Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,566   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ziatypes.......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Ziatypes.......

Hi All,

A friend of mine without a computer recently approached me and asked what would be the best ALT process with which to begin. I have been doing kalliypes for about a year and suggested he begin with that, and I can help him along a with my limited experience.

However, he asked me about Ziatypes. I have read about them, but have never given them a try. It looks like a fairly easy process to begin with but I thought I would ask here for the insights.

I suggested Cyanotype, but he doesn't like blue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I dont know much about Kallitypes in terms of comparison but Ziatypes are more dependent on paper and humidity than traditional Pd ...

Of all my favorite papers I have tested with them an NA2 Pd print always comes out nicer - deeper dMax and warmer tonality - that being said ziatype comes out really nice on the cheaper stuff I use for cyanotype (cranes kid finish I think)

Some negs just need a POP process to get them going, so I still use them on occasion and they are easy enough also once you have spent a whiles getting your head around all the variables.

An investment in chems can always go part way towards a 'proper' Pt/Pd kit too.
    Last edited by nick mulder; 09-29-2009 at 01:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ziatypes are easy enough to mix, and are not too finicky about the paper used. However if your friend is just dipping their toes in the alt proc water, so to speak, why not try the Argyrotype process, it is significantly cheaper than Zia, and the image colour can be varied by toning.

It is a single solution, and only requires water and plain hypo for processing. Bostick & Sullivan do a kit containing 100ml of sensitizer (should do 40+ prints 8x10) for around $35. Their 25ml Ziatype kit comes in at nearer $100.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the help. I will pass that along.

I had thought about the Argryotype, but the problem of finding suitable paper for it was the biggest problem. I have some Argryotype chemicals here, but the paper has been problem.

I read an article in View Camera by Eric Biggerstaff and I think what my friend found attractive about Ziatype is it's apparent ability to handle a wide range of negatives. Argryotype and other don't seem to have that.

Thanks much!

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ziatype sensitiser can be adjusted to give additional contrast by adding ammonium dichromate (solution is included in the kit, but is worth diluting it further as a little goes a very long way).

I don't know if you or your friend have seen this, but the Bostick & Sullivan website has an article containing instructions on this page.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Steve,

Actually I have seen it & printed it our for him. I wish he would get a computer it would be easier, so until then I guess I am his library.

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tell him to go for it..see your in Japan, but have him order the kit from Bostick and Sullivan and it will have everything he needs to start - including intructions. Add contact print frame + negative of choice and go. It was the process I started with (and knew nothing - still don't know enough, but more than I did then)

Hope they have a blast...I did.

Oh should mention, the traditional process was actually easier for me than the Zia's were, so might consider that also.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am a little surprised that no one mentioned Van Dyke. It is a POP process and a cheap way to learn if you don't like cyanotype. Check out the Wynn White article on unblinkingeye.com. If you have experience with Kallitype, I'd say go ahead with that. There is nothing like learning from someone who already has experience.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I meant finicky with papers with respect to DOP Pt/Pd processes - so yes, I agree Zia does usually work on any of the 'alt' papers ...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I am a little surprised that no one mentioned Van Dyke.
    That's probably because:

1) The thread topic is Ziatypes.
    2) The two processes are nothing alike.
    3) The POP characteristics of Ziatypes and VDB are quite different
    4) The Ziatype process can produce a much wider range of tones and colors when compared to toned VDB.

Nothing wrong with VDB it's just a totally different dog. I've made a lot of both types and VDB is more straight forward and less expensive.
    Don Bryant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin