Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,598   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Massive sized contact negatives - where to get?

I'm not ready to take the plunge just yet, because I've got other things on my plate at the moment but I'm very curious about how to get a massively huge negative for contact printing. In particular I'm looking at Gum Bichromate. I just saw this video Watch Massimo Attardi print gum bichromate on very large wood and naturally I thought about this before knowing it was possible. Now that I see it's possible, I want to know how to get a negative that size! What are the options? I've been searching for an Imagesetter service local to me (Central Coast, California).. not even sure there are any even in Los Angeles. Would appreciate some insight and ideas as to cost involved. I know the machines cost like anywhere from $1500 to $10,000 used.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    woops I meant to say, I know the machine costs, but I don't want to buy a machine, I just want to get some massive negatives made for me. Also, it would be good to know what kind of negative size to start with. Massimo's example is square so naturally I'm thinking he started with medium format 6x6. But something tells me I'm off base with that thought. That there's no way he could get the kind of quality necessary to derive a print like that size.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting video. The square image could easily be a crop from a LF neg, or from a square 6x6 neg ... or from a digital file. Either way, the large contact neg was probably produced digitally, which is not too expensive.
    (Given the subject matter, and from what I can see on the video, I would say that the final print quality is easily within the capabilities of MF film.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographer's formulary has the materials for doing digital negs at least that big. The details are a topic for www.hybridphoto.org

Or you could make an interpositive on lith film then use that to make a lith film neg. Freestyle has the film up to 20x24.
    Last edited by bdial; 09-29-2009 at 08:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you need to go beyond say 20x24, your best bet is to have the negs made as inkjet on transparent media. Most good labs/service bureaus can do this for you, but it won't be cheap- just less expensive than trying to do it yourself. You'll probably have to send it out to either LA or SF for that service. I'd get a handle on printing gum bichromate at a smaller size so you know how to handle the variables first, before plunging in to the big stuff, because that gets very expensive very quickly. Smaller than 20x24, you can, as someone else has mentioned, make ortho/lith negs yourself if your enlarger can handle it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last time I looked, freestyle carried lith film roles 40" wide.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post
    Last time I looked, freestyle carried lith film roles 40" wide.
    Lukas

Check mal Deinen Link. Da stimmt was nicht!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please let me know if you found an imagesetter service in LA. If so, I can give you the specs to get any size neg you need.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can always make a paper print, positive, the size you need
    and contact print it to another sheet of paper to make a negative ...
    calotypes were always made using a paper negative ...
    it might take a longer exposure than a sheet of film, but it will still work ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you can always make a paper print, positive, the size you need
    and contact print it to another sheet of paper to make a negative ...
    calotypes were always made using a paper negative ...
    it might take a longer exposure than a sheet of film, but it will still work ...
    Interesting concept! This could work.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin