Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,493   Online: 977

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Someone mentioned that her exhibit included huge inkjet prints from scans of her ambrotypes/tintypes. I haven't attended one of her exhibits so I can't say for sure. But I do see some of her prints labeled silver gel and varnish so it very well could be glass plate negatives were used or digital negatives from scans of her plates.
    Last edited by RobertP; 10-09-2009 at 05:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Someone mentioned that her exhibit included huge inkjet prints from scans of her ambrotypes/tintypes. I haven't attended one of her exhibits so I can't say for sure. But I do see some of her prints labeled silver gel and varnish so it very well could be glass plate negatives were used or digital negatives from scans of her plates.
    Most of the prints in her exhibit “What remains” are huge. In one segment of the documentary she uses a rather large enlarger and appears to be printing from glass plates.

Well, it gives me a reason to look at the film again.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    She doesn't do any digital processing. She uses an 8x10 wet plate camera to shoot collodion glass plates and then an 8x10 enlarger to make very large prints on Ilford paper, which she varnishes and frames.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    Since I'm self-taught in photography (and particular in darkroom work), I find it fascinating when I'm able to see what (and how) other people work...
    ...then you might enjoy watching a short segment in the BBC "Genius of Photography" doc, last of the series, showing her working with the collodion process, you should be able to find it on youtube I expect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOttawa View Post
    ...then you might enjoy watching a short segment in the BBC "Genius of Photography" doc...
    Thanks a lot, Dave, for reminding me

Off to Youtube...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the movie you can see her dodging a portion of a large print using her arm as a dodging tool. That particular image was from a collodion glass negative. Early in the documentary she is shooting with an 8x10 and film. I believe that the up close portraits of her children's faces that were displayed as part of the What Remains show were actually 11x14 glass plate negatives contact printed.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, I stand corrected. Sorry I brought up the D word.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry I missed this one I'll watch it later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin