Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,132   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is Sally Mann doing in "What Remains" documentary, at around 13:15?

Since I'm self-taught in photography (and particular in darkroom work), I find it fascinating when I'm able to see what (and how) other people work.

I've seen the online version of "What Remains" documentary on Sally Mann, as linked here, and some time around 13:15 (that's thirteen minutes and fifteen seconds) into the documentary, there's a sequence showing her mixing some goo in a plastic bucket (using funny-looking gloves), pouring it on a print, coating the print with it, etc...

What's she doing there, exactly? What kind of process is that?
    Thanks for any explanations...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    She appears to be toning the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like she is toning print too me also.

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's varnish.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandarac varnish to be precise. It has lavender oil in it. Smells great when you varnish. Varnishing is the final step in the wet plate collodion process. Its used on tintypes, ambrotypes and glass plate negatives.
    Last edited by RobertP; 10-08-2009 at 01:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Varnishing is the final step in the wet plate collodion process. Its used on tintypes, ambrotypes and glass plate negatives.
    That's interesting, but she's not coating/varnishing a wet plate negative. That's a paper print she's coating in that video... and a rather big one - at least one meter across the longer side, if not bigger.

But, I do admit that my knowledge of darkroom procedures and processes is rather basic. That's why I'm asking - what she's doing there is a complete mystery to me. Toning? The toners I've seen and used so far are more or less liquid. She's using something more like molasses - the substance is almost waxy

Varnishing is quite possible, judging from the consistency of the substance. But, I've never heard of varninghing a (paper) print. Toning - yes; but varnishing?

Could anyone provide some insight into the purpose of this procedure (on paper prints)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    People do varnish fiber prints. Fiber tones very well (quite differently from most RC papers) but will not produce the deepest blacks due to the diffuse reflection from the surface. So one solution is to apply varnish to the final print.

One well known varnisher of fiber prints was Paul Strand; here is a quote from this link:

Strand's formula for surfacing prints was reproduced in Ansel Adams' The Print(1950): "First, one buys a small can of lithographer's varnish No. 1...This should last for years. Next one buys a bottle of Carbona (carbon tetrachloride), the solvent for the varnish...A good way to get the varnish into the Carbona is with a swab stick, letting it run off drop by drop until the Carbona is a lemon-yellow color after shaking. The varnish is then ready to apply with a piece of cotton. Cover the print thoroughly...then smooth the whole surface out by taking almost all the varnish off by rubbing briskly with a piece of dry absorbent cotton...The varnish is slow-drying (3 or 4 days)...and I have never noticed any evidence of discoloration." Adams noted "This print varnish is for matte, semimatte, and semigloss prints."
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the explanation, Keith.

I still have a lot to learn

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    That's interesting, but she's not coating/varnishing a wet plate negative. That's a paper print she's coating in that video... and a rather big one - at least one meter across the longer side, if not bigger.

But, I do admit that my knowledge of darkroom procedures and processes is rather basic. That's why I'm asking - what she's doing there is a complete mystery to me. Toning? The toners I've seen and used so far are more or less liquid. She's using something more like molasses - the substance is almost waxy

Varnishing is quite possible, judging from the consistency of the substance. But, I've never heard of varninghing a (paper) print. Toning - yes; but varnishing?

Could anyone provide some insight into the purpose of this procedure (on paper prints)?
    Sorry, I haven't seen the video in years. I was under the impression that most of her series "What Remains" was shot using the wet plate collodion process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Sorry, I haven't seen the video in years. I was under the impression that most of her series "What Remains" was shot using the wet plate collodion process.
    She coats transparent glass plates and print them on what appears to be normal photographic paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin