Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,448   Online: 978

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willrea View Post
    Terry Halstead suggests, and used, I believe in the demo at Vancouver, Agfa MC Classic MCC 118 FB. He also said I believe that any paper that is non-super coated should work.

From the handout:
    Agfa MC Classic MCC 118 FB
    Luminos Classic Charcoal RB
    Forte Elegance Polywarmtone FB
    Ilford Multicontrast RB

Agfa, Luminos and Forte papers are long gone and extinct! I only use super coated papers for bromoil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A couple of questions: What developer did you use? What fix????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter View Post
    A couple of questions: What developer did you use? What fix????
    Hi Gene,

The developer was the Ilford PQ Universal and the fixer was Ilford Rapid Fixer, which to my understanding does not have a hardener.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry to hear that your first try ended in failure. Bromoil is not a process that always produces good results without "paying your dues." :>)
    paying dues is fine by me. I know I need to build up skills from point zero

I must assume that you followed the exposure, developing and bleaching steps properly. There are lots of variables in these and one mistake can spell failure!
    I don't have your book, Bromoil 101. I have another one from a Brit.. the name eludes me at the moment. I need to get your book because the Brit doesn't mention anything about exposure and developing. He only mentioned using a non-hardening fixer and bleaching techniques.

Your Photo Paper: If you read Bromoil 101, you may recall that I stated: "I would not recommend this paper for beginners." The ink goes on easily, but it's almost impossible to clear. The ink clings to the surface. When you added the thinner brown ink, it sounds like the mixture was too thin and you probably overloaded your brush.
    Yes. That is exactly what happened when I added the brown.

Your Ink: I purchase my ink from Graphic Chemical and Ink Co. so I can't comment on the condition of the ink you received?
    I bought the same ink (Graphic..) from Bostick and Sullivan, along with the other supplies and the bleaching/tanning chemicals. They sent along with that some photocopied instructions from Bromoil 101 as to the bleaching stage, which is what I worked off of for that step.

Briefly I think you started out with a paper that's far too difficult for beginners.
    I agree. This paper did not bleach properly at all! And I think it did not tan the best.

So, of the papers that are readily available (such as by ordering from Freestyle), which one would be the best to resume my experimentation with? Most of the other papers that were ever used are no longer available new and very hard to find on eBay (and in unknown state as well).

Good Luck!

Gene
    Thanks Gene. Your work is my greatest inspiration. I want to make pieces like yours. I'll buy your book now, now that I'm ready to do bromoiling. I think you mentioned in some posts that it can be ordered through you directly? As for your video, I lack a VCR video tape player
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "So, I followed Gene Laughter's directions and got my chemicals from Bostick & Sullivan, followed everything to a T..."

To a T? LOL! Seems you took some detours along the way! I use, and recommend, plain Thiosulphate crystals (10% solution)! Plus, you used a paper that I have pointed out that isn't for bromoil beginners.

Gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Presently I am using Kentmere Fineprint VC semi matt (fine grain matt) from Freestyle. As of this morning it's on their website. I would recommend this paper. I'm getting ready to try a couple of the Adox papers and bromoil buddies report good results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "So, I followed Gene Laughter's directions and got my chemicals from Bostick & Sullivan, followed everything to a T..."

To a T? LOL! Seems you took some detours along the way! I use, and recommend, plain Thiosulphate crystals (10% solution)! Plus, you used a paper that I have pointed out that isn't for bromoil beginners.

Gene
    hehe, perhaps after I get your book and read the rest of your instructions I might notice the other detours I was referring to the bleaching and tanning portion alone (which B&S distributed with your chemical recipe). That part I followed your directions exclusively (including the fixing with hypo). The exposed paper before bleaching was developed with Ilford PQ Universal fixed with the Ilford Rapid fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Presently I am using Kentmere Fineprint VC semi matt (fine grain matt) from Freestyle. As of this morning it's on their website. I would recommend this paper. I'm getting ready to try a couple of the Adox papers and bromoil buddies report good results.
    Great! I will order some of that today! Thanks Gene!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I feel that it's extremely important in bromoil to follow a straight path and stay in the middle of the road until you have some success and experience. If you take one bit of advice from me and another bit from someone else ... and then take detours as you heard they work, you'll never reach your destination!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay, I'm sharing this next bit as an exercise in playing followup. By the way Gene, I've placed an order with Freestyle yesterday for some Kentmere paper. I must say that for the longest time last year there was a possibility we'd never be able to get more (is how I had it stuck in my brain). But while Freestyle is now running low on some sizes they do have some in stock. Meanwhile I'm plodding ahead with attempting to ink some of the other prints I bleached and tanned. Oh, before I go into that, I will say this, I had the oddest thing happen at work today, sorry for being a story teller if you're looking for the simple skinny, but I must embellish this next bit.

So today I had the long face. And another coworker had the happy face. So in jest I walked by his desk and told him that smiling was being outlawed. He said "oh yes, forgot, we can't be happy here!" So we chit chat a bit.. I told him why I had the long face, its because I want so much to do bromoil like a pro, and having such a problem. Side comment, I seem to always have every conceivable problem with anything new I attempt. Like fate, or something. Anyway, he asked "what's bromoil?" I said "hang on a sec I actually have a print with me". So I waltzed on over to my office and picked up my lighthouse print I somehow miraculously saved from being over-inked (whereas the other print I had my initial problems with is long gone messed up and mangled trying to clean off the ink). He looks at the print and I'm there telling him about how what he's looking [at is] ink not silver. But he didn't let me finish, instead he said "WOW I LIKE THIS!" which totally blew me away. I was not expecting the response. "You do???" sounding puzzled. "Oh yeah, I like that! It's so artistic!" and suddenly all my ails went flying away. So I started to tell him "Yeah, that's Piedras Blancas Light...." and he said "Oh yeah I know exactly where that is!" and I was surprised again. Not only was it "artistic" to him but he recognized it. And here all I saw was a heaping pile of mistakes after another. So instantly I said "well since you like it so much, you can have it!" And he smiled like I made his day. Made HIS day? He made MY day! Just then he shared the odd part of this story. He said that his girlfriend used to live in that lighthouse. Live in it? Why yes.. out in the middle of nowhere. Back in the day when she was a biology student, she was on some project that took her there to study something and she lived in the lighthouse for a duration of time. So he said he was going to give it to her. Now, how is that for a story?

So now, on to why I posted tonight. I just inked up for the second night, tonight. I picked another one of the prints that I originally bleached and tanned. I think I have one or two more remaining. Now, this print started out visible, not a ghost image. But instead of last time when I tried to ink and ink and ink until all I saw was ink and not photograph, I stopped on this one soon as the print felt dry to the touch basically. So have a look at the photos. This is where things lay after the first inking on my second evening attempt at this craft. I may do another layer on this tonight, the print is soaking as I type, but I am going to look for a smaller brush. The detail areas I need to work on are simply way too small for this huge "bromoil" brush. I know I have some brushes I had around for acrylics.. and hoping that I have some I never used and which are stiff enough to use for hopping motions.

I'll share the progression here so interested parties can see, and to also allow for critiques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0367.JPG   100_0368.JPG  
    Last edited by Perry Way; 10-16-2009 at 01:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar correction in [ ]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin