Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,548   Online: 893

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Bleaching - tanning, not sure if this is right

After much planning and patience acquiring all the necessary ingredients to get started with bromoil process, tonight I started the first time ever bleaching and tanning prints I want to ink up.

So, I followed Gene Laughter's directions and got my chemicals from Bostick & Sullivan, followed everything to a T, but if you look at these snapshots here, there is more than a "faint" image left. Now the tray under the tub spigot is the wash prior to the hypo wash. And the tray on the left side of the tub is the final wash on the first two prints. The one on the left happens to be the one that started with the least amount of darkness on the print. But I can clearly see the image below. It is not the straw color I anticipated. Is there something wrong here?

By the way I started with cold tone Ilford MG fiber matte. My understanding is this should work. But maybe I'm seeing something unique to the Ilford paper that doesn't happen on the Kentmere that Gene Laughter prefers?

Anyone have a clue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0361a.JPG   100_0362a.JPG  
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Looks pretty close like the example I saw in a bromoil demo last month up in Vancouver, WA (NW APUGer gathering). But I have no experience with t he process.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Looks pretty close like the example I saw in a bromoil demo last month up in Vancouver, WA (NW APUGer gathering). But I have no experience with t he process.

Vaughn
    Good to know Vaughn. Do you recall what kind of paper was used during the demo?
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No...I have a mind like a steel trap. Once something gets in it, it stays -- but it tends to get a bit mangled.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's some photos a day and a half after the fact. Now that the prints have dried they have become darker? I wouldn't use the word "ghost image" to describe these. I'm starting to think maybe Ilford FB Matte paper is not a good paper, or.. something else maybe.. maybe the chemicals were not powerful enough? Or, I don't know what. But I'm really thinking these are not good starting points for inking up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0363a.JPG   100_0364a.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Was just discharged from the hospital following surgery. I'll try to focus on this in a few days. In the meantime, try inking one of the matrices after soaking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter View Post
    Was just discharged from the hospital following surgery. I'll try to focus on this in a few days. In the meantime, try inking one of the matrices after soaking.
    Oh! Wow! Well I hope you're alright now. Get some rest. I will give this a try later on this evening probably since I just now got home from trip to Los Angeles to pick up new 4x5 enlarger and I've got it in pieces on the floor here. Have to make space first

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terry Halstead suggests, and used, I believe in the demo at Vancouver, Agfa MC Classic MCC 118 FB. He also said I believe that any paper that is non-super coated should work.

From the handout:
    Agfa MC Classic MCC 118 FB
    Luminos Classic Charcoal RB
    Forte Elegance Polywarmtone FB
    Ilford Multicontrast RB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay, well I'm quite disappointed with how things are going. I tried to ink up two prints tonight. Both really sucked big time. I thought I was getting pretty decent results on one and then decided to add a brown to the black, just a wee bit mind you, and then somehow the brush got loaded up to the point that it made an indiscriminate inking all over the print. Then I could not get the ink off with saran wrap or the brayer, the brayer got loaded up with ink, and then suddenly I had a cloudy mess. Back into the wash went the print and then soon as the water touched it my finger just ever so slightly brushed up against it trying to get the print below the water line and then it was suddenly lifted, all the ink in that area. The area being the sky portion which probably wasn't dark before the bleaching.

So what are my findings? Well, I'm a complete inexperienced fool in many ways here. I love the results Gene gets. Its the whole reason why I ventured into this craft, but I am thinking at this point that the tanning portion worked somewhat because the ink does want to stick more to the darker regions, but the bleaching didn't work very much. That's my in a nutshell take on things.

However, at this point in the evening (12 midnight) I'm so far out of patience if I were to base a lifetime of pursuit on how I feel right now, I'd kick this all under the bus. That's how bad I feel I am at this.

First thing first.. I need to work with the BEST possible equipment. The paper needs to be the perfect kind so I know what is optimal. I think this Ilford paper is about the worst one could use for this process. Second, I'm not so sure I was shipped good ink and/or good chemicals. I got kind of a snippy response from B&S about the dry hard inks with them saying that heat will make them workable again and then not telling me what kind of heat, for how long, etc. Without having done this before I'm feeling like the Hardy Boys on a really cold lead.

Last observation... I could really benefit from a hands on workshop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A Few Comments:

Sorry to hear that your first try ended in failure. Bromoil is not a process that always produces good results without "paying your dues." :>)

I must assume that you followed the exposure, developing and bleaching steps properly. There are lots of variables in these and one mistake can spell failure!

Your Photo Paper: If you read Bromoil 101, you may recall that I stated: "I would not recommend this paper for beginners." The ink goes on easily, but it's almost impossible to clear. The ink clings to the surface. When you added the thinner brown ink, it sounds like the mixture was too thin and you probably overloaded your brush.

Your Ink: I purchase my ink from Graphic Chemical and Ink Co. so I can't comment on the condition of the ink you received?

Briefly I think you started out with a paper that's far too difficult for beginners.

Good Luck!

Gene

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin