Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,147   Online: 967

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, this is why I generally refer to pigments by number rather than name. PBk9, bone or ivory black, was once made from burned ivory; now is made from burned bone. So it's not surprising that your "bone black" "looks and behaves very much like ivory black" it's most probable that they're the same pigment.

I've never found a pigment that didn't work for gum printing, and I've printed (at least as a test) just about every pigment that's used in watercolor paints. I've heard anecdotes about brands that didn't work well for gum printing, but I haven't tried a lot of different brands; I've pretty much stuck to M. Graham and Daniel Smith. I've never used Winsor & Newton paints, considering them overpriced and overhyped, so can't speak to the problems related here with W&N paint.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post
    Some pigments for some reason just don't seem to work. Last year I had a problem with soem cadmium pigments, most notably with a beutiful cadmium purple (also from Kremer). It just wouldn't clear, try as I might. Has anybody had a simila experience?
    Lukas,

I've not used that particular pigment (Kremer) but I have had problems with magenta or purple pigments not wanting to develop. I use a spray bottle that produces a very fine mist to induce development. Used patiently it works very well, but one has to work carefully. Don't over do the spraying or the entire layer will float away. I'm not sure if this makes sense but it's a technique that can be used.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just recently started using Daniel Smith's 'Lunar Black'. I love its tone and it handles very well -- clears easily and thoroughly on Fabriano without added sizing. I'll post a link to a picture of it, but really it's just a nice, neutral, clean black that, in the words of gum master Katharine Thayer, 'plays well with others'. (second set of images, right hand side)

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Silv...ergumPart4.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess I'm going to have to mail order some paints and pigments. I've been checking the local art stores and they don't carry most of the brands mentioned. There's plenty of W&N watercolors, but I agree that they're expensive. I saw the Lunar Black on the Daniel Smith site and I would have never ordered it based on its formulation for heavy reticulation, but there you go--alt process never claimed to be logical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The granulating pigment description put me off for a bit, too. I don't usually go that direction, but I was on a mission to find the right black to be a 'k-layer' with my favorite color set. If there is any appearance of reticulation or granulation in the dried Lunar Black layer, I think it actually works very well under subsequent color layers. But, no one ever said gum was a 'one size fits all' art form (or logical )

Here's an extreme crop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EnPointeGum-K-crop.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been happy with M. Graham Ivory Black.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin