Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,896   Posts: 1,584,311   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Screen printing UV light box for Alt. processes

Hi,

I was looking at ebay and I saw some people sell what they call Screen Printing Exposure Unit or Light Table. For example this one: 140353250255 (that's ebay's item id, just copy and paste to ebay's search).

From the description and picture, that is basically a box with 8 UV 15 watts unfiltered tubes.

Anyone used one of these for alt. process printing? it seems to be slightly more economical (and well made) compared to those dedicated UV light boxes for alt. process.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It will work,but the tubes seem to be spaced rather far apart and no cooling fan is obvious. For this kind of money you can buy a new unit designed for the purpose from Bostick and Sullivan.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From Bostik and Sullivan:

11x14 dimension, price is $639

From ebay:

20"x24" with buy it now for $349

That's quite a bit of difference in price if you ask me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The UV eposure unit looks as if it could be pretty useful. I've used a much larger one at the printmakers' workshop I belong to for exposing photo-litho plates and silkscreens. The only thing I would wonder about is how accurate the timer on it might be, as the one on ours is pretty basic. But that may not matter? In any case, you should be able to switch it on and off with a darkroom timer. (That's what I'm planning to do with the facial solarium that I'm going to use for exposing cyanotypes.)
    Would you need a cooling fan? How long are exposures likely to be? On the print worshop's large unit, it only took 1 min.-1 1/2 mins to expose a plate or a screen but I don't know what its rating is. (I reckon ours would be too powerful to give any accuracy for alternative process exposure - exposing litho plates etc. may be have much more tolerance in exposure times.)
    I hope this has helped - if only to give you ideas for more questions to ask. A printmakers' workshop may be able to give you some advice, maybe even let you try exposing something if they have a similar unit. Good luck!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldglass View Post
    Hi,

I was looking at ebay and I saw some people sell what they call Screen Printing Exposure Unit or Light Table. For example this one: 140353250255 (that's ebay's item id, just copy and paste to ebay's search).

From the description and picture, that is basically a box with 8 UV 15 watts unfiltered tubes.

Anyone used one of these for alt. process printing? it seems to be slightly more economical (and well made) compared to those dedicated UV light boxes for alt. process.
    I have not used one of these however you could build your own like many alt process people do as it would work out cheaper and is not very difficult to build. The size of the ebay one has 20x24 coverage, if you intend to print that large I would recommend a vacuum frame despite what the advert says on ebay! Also building your own you can dictate the distance between the UV lamps and the contact printing frame/vacuum frame which you cant with the one on ebay, this is an important factor in getting a good exposure.
    Last edited by Davec101; 10-24-2009 at 06:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nah, the largest print that I see making is about 11x14, so the Exposure unit is actually quite a bit larger than what I need/want.

Oh well, I'll keep looking for an alternative then.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I build one using 5 Home Depot black light 18" fixtures - as I remember they where about $16 each including a black light bulb - I put them in a plywood box and used a power strip to plug them into. Its been working just fine for me - exposure times are in the 3 to 5 minute range. I use a Gralab timer on the power strip - you could add a fan if you want to the box and plug it in the power strip also. As I had most of the stuff around the house I think it cost about $150 total for the set up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It may not be even enough for alt. process exposure. It doesn't matter so much for screen print emulsion as it either gets fully exposed or not exposed at all. A screen emulsion is either clear (fully washed out) or solid and this corrosponds to black or clear areas of the positive film used to create it. There are no shades of grey involved.

Because of this, it is common to over-expose a screen emulsion just to make sure.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I recently got a scrounged Kepro 200e UV exposure frame (normally used for printing circuit boards?) for <$60. Works magnificently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Anyone used this?

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/led-shadow.html

For those who can't open links during work, it's a UV LED bank for Club/DJ purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin