Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,978   Online: 1079

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    Hi Ray,

I've discovered this thread only today. I'm fascinated with early color photography technologies such as Autochromes, so I'm extreemly excited to discover there was another process that seems to be even older and more accurate (color rendition wise) than Autochromes. I'm French and studied Physics for a while at College, so I would be happy to try to translate into English the french papers you cite. I'm not a professional translater and I may need some time as my free time is limited and already pretty busy but since this project sounds so exciting I'll do my best to be fast and effective.
    Lionel,

This is wonderful.

Hopefully you have a lot of Stamina
    I meant endurance, not multiple Stamens... I wonder if that's where "stamina" comes from :o

Anyway I am sorry if I was slow in responding... the last two days I have been studying electronics & learning how to hack some new commercial circuits to increase the efficiency of my own photons

Well, sorry if I left you hanging.

I will PM you soon.

To All about translations...
    Yes there is a lot of material...
    but my idea is that some of us have more time than money, and there are probably some of us who want to participate, & might be able to donate time, typing or translations, but not really want to make these sort of photograps....

And Google machine translation has improved, I hear.

Besides, quality depends a lot on the software... some transltion companies here run everything through machines first and start from there now.

The offer of translation was an unexpected plus.
    A large task, but lets not discourage anyone from any forward movement.
    One step at a time is OK.

It is a standing (if not long term) project.

Hologram, No need to apologize!
    It is surlely not your fault; Sometimes the copy machines we are forced to use are poor, sometimes the publications themselves are just not robust enough to give
    "nice" copies so many years down the road.

I will check the link you just gave with the list of 404s (?) to see if some can be eliminated.

By the way, thanks again for making them available in one place, in the first place.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-15-2010 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
    there's a correlation between the beam ratio (the beam hitting the plate directly and the one from the rear side) and diffraction efficiency. In order to get high modulation the beam ratio ideally has to be 1:1. Obviously, in the Lippmann case without a mercury (or alike) reflector this is difficult to achieve.
    Ahh, this makes the Lippmann:Hologram analog more clear... the reflection is like the reference beam (or vice versa?) in a laser hologram and ideally it's strength should be as strong as the illumination beam (which is impossible in practice, I would assume, but cool!)

The whole complementary colors thing is interesting, and I guess it makes sense that they'd appear this way thru transmission. If we get true colors by reflection, then every other color is being transmitted, thus, we get the complement.

This is seriously geeky fun. While the rest of the world watches "Lost" or something, we're hunting down and reading scientific papers from 100 years ago on an obscure method of creating something so easily achievable today with zero effort. It's great

Now, R Shaffer, am I seeing things, or is there a sliver of true color in the picture you just posted?? The palm appears to be green, near the fringe of the processed portion, by the fingerprint..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Ray Rogers, the link didn't work? The link basically goes to the last relevant page, you need to go back several chapters for the goods. There's some really good stuff in there. Apparently, in theory, a Lippmann should transmit the complementary colors of what it reflects.
    I think it ma be more a problem of my accessing google from a site in Japan rather than from stateside... it sounds like you were able to actually read full pages... I will see if I can supply a sample of what I get when I try it....

Try:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=1J0...chrome&f=false

or maybe the attachment if that worked....

no, that didnt work.

oh well, suffice it to say that I only get tiny "tunnel vision" or post-it type snippits... which are even more than... less than useless.
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-15-2010 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for your warm and supportive responses.
    Which type of papers would you be interested the most of at first? The historical original presentations of the interferential process by Gabriel Lippmann papers? Or later documents like Berthier's handbook and other synthetic works including modern articles and publications about the Lippmann color photography process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I tend to try to start with the oldest material and slowly work my way up... for an Evolutionary or... "Ontogeny Recapitulates Phylogeny" approach.

BUT I think in this case, it may be wiser to tackle the smaller files first... that way, any special vocabulary or concepts will have time to "firm up", and later pages/papers may often be a repetition of earlier material....

OTOH, Hologram might have a better grasp of which papers might be of greater immediate or intellectual use... in any case, it is intuitive that one who can not read the material is not necessarially the best person to do the triage!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray Rogers, I don't know what's wrong, because that link takes me to page 59 and I can go either direction from there. Hmmm....

I often find the older papers more interesting personally. Do we have a list of all the available files? Some authors/experimenters have been more successful or renowned in their work. I've seen references to authors who were either barking up the wrong tree or discredited by others. Specifically, IIRC, F.E. Ives had some opinions expressed in one of his papers. I think it was Cajal who he referred to. Anyways, I would vote for the older/more historical papers first.

That's my two cents!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holmburgers,
    Yes, I have run into this problem before... Google in different countries "offer" different sampling...
    Sometimes, local versions of eg a good web service gets "regionalized" to the point it becomes a BEAST.

If I find out who/where "google" is here, I will try to find a way around the problem....

Are there a lot of interesting pages?
    If there are only a few pages,
    Can you print (or make screen prints) of the good stuff?

Ray

Shooter
    Medium Format

LIPPMANN PAPERS

Here's the new home of the "Lippmann" papers: http://a2.no-ip.org/data/lippmann/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    INCREDIBLE! Thank you thank you thank you....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
    Here's the new home of the "Lippmann" papers: http://a2.no-ip.org/data/lippmann/
    Very cool. Several papers I had not seen before in a quick look through. Thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin