Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,800   Online: 772

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pictures

Here are some photographs of Lippmann stuff for your viewing pleasure.

1) Cemetary, Gabriel Lippmann, circa 1910
    2) Young man, Gabriel Lippmann, circa 1910
    3) Interferential Lippmann plate reproducing a color circle, Anonymous, circa 1893
    4) Gabriel Lippmann himself, in the laboratory, circa 1900
    5) Labeled Vignette du Maréchal Soult sur une boite d'allumettes, probably by Louis Lumiere, circa 1893
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lippmann 1.JPG   Lippmann 2.JPG   Lippmann 3.JPG   Lippmann 4.JPG   Lippmann 5.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are those from the autochrome book? I recall 2-4 but not #s 1 & 5.

BTW What are you up to these days?

BTW2 Did we ever hear back from SF about the artistic photo he promised?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Ray,

Yep they are from that book. I hope I don't end up in jail....

I'm up to about the same... nothing! No but really, moving forward on dichromated gelatin dye-transfer matrices (albeit slowly), still thinking about autochromes and Lippmann, but mainly just working to scan all my old film, print in the darkroom and then everything else, a.k.a. life.

SF has yet to do said screen-plate photo, but I'd bet someday we'll see it. Maybe he's waiting for someone else to step up to the plate. If I could just have a week off someday, I'd get so much done, but alas, that's not gonna happen.

By the way, have you made any panchromatic emulsions lately? If you want me to send you a screen-plate, let me know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi guys! Happy New Year to all! Sorry I've much catch up to do on this thread and so little time. I'm still around though. Ray, let me know what I should try to translate next.
    Thanks for the pictures Chris! I so wish I could see a Lippmann plate with my own eyes. Maybe if I can go back to Bièvres this next spring and if the museum there has not been abandonned and if they still have one...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy New Year to you too!

Ahhh, indeed, you are in the epicenter of early colour photography; Luis Ducos du Hauron, Gabriel Lippmann, the Lumiere brothers...

I'm jealous!

You know, someone proposed the idea of interference colour photography early on; Bequerel maybe?? (IDK off the top of my head) Anyways, it'd be neat to read the original disclosure.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    I so wish I could see a Lippmann plate with my own eyes. Maybe if I can go back to Bièvres this next spring and if the museum there has not been abandonned and if they still have one...
    William Alschuler, On the physical and visual state of 100-year-old Lippmann color photographs (Sixth International Symposium on Display Holography, SPIE 3358) lists several places in France that have (or perhaps, used to have) collections of Lippmann photographs:
    - Le Palais de la découverte (15 images)
    - Société Française de Photographie, Paris (17 images)
    - Musée français de la photographie, Bièvres (10 images)

If you're based not too far from Lausanne, Switzerland, you might go the Musée de l'Elysée. They have 125 images by Lippmann...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other night, after having modified my plate holder to fit the odd sized holography plates, I finally loaded a plate. It worked great! So an exposure is the next thing to do and then processing.

I'll try to provide pictures of the holder soon, and of course the plate once it is processed. I found the emulsion side by breathing on either side, as suggested by R Shaffer. The glass side will fog up while the emulsion side will not. I did all this under OC-safelight illumination, which shouldn't be a problem, considering the incredibly low sensitivity of the plates.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We got to see a handful of Lippmann plates at GEH last week. They were gorgeous! One of them was by Lippmann himself.

Mark Osterman then showed us the layout of a Lippmann plate holder with the Mercury inlet and drain. The drawings are quite interesting showing how Lippmann did his work.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is way cool! So indeed, the old ones don't need mercury to be viewed??

I've attached a picture from 'Handbook of Photography in Colours'; did it resemble this at all?

I have to admit that I pondered breaking open thermometers and making a mercury holder, BUT then "sense" kicked in, and the mercuric chloride thread, and that seemed to cure that itch. I think it would be a terrible idea...

Something else that confuses me, if mercury is a powerful sensitizing agent, as in astro-photography hyper-sensitization, and also a powerful fogging agent, how come it doesn't adversely affect the Lippmann emulsion?

Sorry, lots of questions, but you've got me excited!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Here it is

Woops, didn't upload the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lippmann plate holder.JPG  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin