Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,789   Online: 717

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They definitely sound like fickle plates indeed. I'm in the process of reading more about modern Lippmann stuff, but once I get it all straight in my head, I might be willing to split an order with you. However, one more person would sweeten the deal, as 10 would be just enough probably.

Furthermore, what plans do you have for holding the film? Any idea how thick the PFG-03c plates are? I actually emailed laserreflections but they've yet to get back to me with the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The plates are 2.5mm thick.

I had a couple of ideas for a holder. Cannibalize one of my 4x5 film holders and insert a piece of 4 x 5 matt board with a 2 1/2" square opening. Or try and modify an old 4x5 dry plate holder I have. That's about as far as I've gotten.

Yes, a third person would be even better. If I can't get something in 10 tries, then I'll probably throw in the towel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I guess one could sacrifice a plate to build/modify a holder; working with it in the light. That's probably the least of our worries

I recall reading about the developing formulas, something about a Lumiere (autochrome?) developer formula being suitable. Probably in the linked PDF a few posts back. I emailed Hans Bjelkhagen and he sent me some files/articles about it. If you are interested, PM with your email and I can send you them. That goes for anyone else as well who might be gleaming this thread.

Looking forward to trying this, albeit down the road a bit. Not prepared to pull the cord just yet.

By the way, if you're interested in attempting integral photography, that's another realm where I'd need somebody to split a minimum order on a fly's eye array. However, better focus on one thing at a time, eh? Hahaha...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Working with Mercury is the problem if you are doing color.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the new method there is no mercury mirror involved. The reflection is from the air-film behind the emulsion. With the air-film reflection, the inference pattern is right on the surface of the emulsion which makes development more difficult, so your processing can't shrink the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffer View Post
    With the new method there is no mercury mirror involved. The reflection is from the air-film behind the emulsion. With the air-film reflection, the inference pattern is right on the surface of the emulsion which makes development more difficult, so your processing can't shrink the emulsion.
    And of course, prevention of shrinkage or any size change is very very difficult.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it's probably the Achilles heel of the whole process. But they have some developer formulas that are suppose to work and it sure would be cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffer View Post
    Yes, it's probably the Achilles heel of the whole process. But they have some developer formulas that are suppose to work and it sure would be cool.
    Several textbooks show the change in dimension of gelatin during silver development. Unfortunately, all gelatin changes during development and forms cracks and shrinks (or expands).

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyone ever make Lippmann plates?
    It sounds like a difficult process of limited displayability, but it seems intriguing in that it appears to reproduce the color spectrum in its entirety rather than using any RGB approach. I'm interested in more details as to how it's done.

I did put many French, German and some English written files related to Lippmann photography online - see http://www.holowiki.com/index.php/Lippmann_Papers

It may also be worth it to shoot the author of the article an e-mail. He's somewhat known among the holography forums (HoloWiki and such), and is apparently receptive to questions.

There's also a forum on Lippmann photography: http://holographyforum.org/phpBB2/vi...ded0a99631bd6f

This company sells the plates which Bjelkhagen used for his Lippmann plates. It looks as though purchasing the PFG-03c is fairly expensive, at least for one person. The minimum quantity looks to be 25 at 237 euros (about $320) PLUS shipping I'm sure, from russia, at 3.3 kG. Probably pretty expensive.

In addition to Slavich there are COLOURHOLOGRAPHICS, ULTIMATE and SPHERE-S that sell panchromatic sensitized holographic AgX emulsions.
    Layer thickness of these emulsions may be in the 5-10um range whereas for Lippmann work you'd rather need 1-3um.
    So you may be better off trying one of the traditional recipes found in these old papers (http://www.holowiki.com/index.php/Lippmann_Papers).

With the new method there is no mercury mirror involved. The reflection is from the air-film behind the emulsion.

Actually, the „new“ method has equally been introduced in the late 19th century.

But they have some developer formulas that are suppose to work and it sure would be cool.

Yes, those are colloidal developers. Shrinkage is virtually absent, since no material is lost by the development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Anyone still reading this thread??

http://www.slavich.com/technical.htm

This company sells the plates which Bjelkhagen used for his Lippmann plates. It looks as though purchasing the PFG-03c is fairly expensive, at least for one person. The minimum quantity looks to be 25 at 237 euros (about $320) PLUS shipping I'm sure, from russia, at 3.3 kG. Probably pretty expensive.

HOWEVER, a joint purchase would make this more viable. If there's interest, let me know or PM me. I'll inquire about smaller quantities.

UPDATE: Ok, so i added it to my basket to check shipping and it doesn't offer the US as a shipping location! What a blow to our egocentricity! I'll investigate futher...... ok, done. Looks like there is a distributor in San Francisco, and the prices are more reasonable.

http://www.laserreflections.com/
    Do a search in the plate camera forum for sources of slavich plates.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin