Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,538   Online: 930

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12161718192021222324 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lippmann Emulsion Comparisons & Sensitizers

This table is reproduced from Hans Bjelkhagen's Silver-Halide Recording Materials: For Holography and Their Processing. Available on Google Books.

It compares Lippmann emulsions from Lippmann, Vatenta and Ives and includes their sensitizers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lippmann Sensitizers & Formulae.JPG  
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format

New life for Lippmann thread

I just joined this forum and have been fascinated by some of the discussions I've come across. I've been aware of the Lippmann Process for many years and have always wanted to try it. In the 1960's my father described the process based on the description he found in an old text he bought in some used book store in NYC - "The Book Of Photography; Practical Theoretic and Applied - edited by Paul N. Hasluck" - which I have. It dates from 1905. To try to excite some new interest in the Lippmann process I've scanned the entry from the book and enclosed it here.

BentleyR (aka Allan)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lippmann1.jpg   Lippmann2.jpg   Lippmann3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Allan, nice to have you joining the discussion and thanks for sharing these pages. The emulsion formula and sensitizing dye recipe is of utmost interest!

A few weeks ago Hologram shared this with me; Lippmann photos on photopolymer using laser exposure.. http://holoforum.org/forum/viewtopic...1&p=6131#p6131
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just to update this thread. After a discussion last night with the team, Sullivan and our crew at BS are going to take a crack at creating Lippmann Plates this spring. I hope to update you all on the process as we begin our experimentation.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    We eagerly await any news. Your team deserves great praise and encouragement. Development of a practical modern approach to creation of Lippmann images would be a significant advance.
    I work in the field of adaptive optics where we measure (and alter) the phase of the light waves to correct for aberrations due to optics and atmosphere. We sometimes use volume diffraction gratings to create a sample of the optical wavefront we want to measure. These gratings are very similar in structure to a finished Lippmann plate being formed by three dimensional index variations in a transparent medium. They are typically made using materials like the photopolymer mentioned in holmburgers recent post or from photochromic glass. These aren't suitable for the Lippmann process because they require quite intense optical beams for creation (i.e. lasers). The real trick for a Lippmann plate is to record the standing waves set up by the interference of light with its reflection off the back interface of the plate in a reliable and reproducible way and to avoid all the problems with absorption and scattering that reduce the contrast of the image.
    Good luck with your research!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyR View Post
    We sometimes use volume diffraction gratings to create a sample of the optical wavefront we want to measure. These gratings are very similar in structure to a finished Lippmann plate being formed by three dimensional index variations in a transparent medium. They are typically made using materials like the photopolymer mentioned in holmburgers recent post or from photochromic glass. These aren't suitable for the Lippmann process because they require quite intense optical beams for creation (i.e. lasers).
    Actually, the speed of the photopolymers mentioned above by holmburgers comes much closer to that of an AgX Lippmann emulsion than photochromic glass. So yes, they can be used for Lippmann photography. Another question though is: would there be enough demand to (commercially) justify the production of such films.
    Probably the highest index modulation, diffraction efficiency (= image brightness of a Lippmann photo) could be achieved if the recording materials were to be contacted with a mirror/reflector. Principally, this implies a sandwich structure: transparent film substrate-recording layer-mirror/reflector. The above mentioned photopolymers films (photopolymer on polyester film) were optically contacted with an aluminized Mylar film. After the light exposure that reflector film was peeled off.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi everyone,

First what i want to say is sorry for my english. I don´t use it very often so sometimes I don´t express myself right.

I´m interesting in Lippmann photography so I tried to make some photos but without any results mean no colour or whatever even no profile . I´m using plates 4"x5" with PFG-03C emulsion from Slavich. Then simple lens f/4. Graphic holder and also body of this simple camera I made myself. I´m doing dark-air options. I exactly follow recommended proccesing for PFG-03C from Slavich websites but not sure if i can use the same procces for Lippmann photography this could be mine problem number one. There is one more question the record in this emulsion is phase or amplitude? I want do next try this week because I do it only in lab so may be also there is problem number two with light.

All ideas where could be my problem, notes, advices are welcome here or PM.
    Last edited by SemFyzik; 04-06-2013 at 09:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SemFyzik View Post
    I exactly follow recommended proccesing for PFG-03C from Slavich websites but not sure if i can use the same procces for Lippmann photography this could be mine problem number one. There is one more question the record in this emulsion is phase or amplitude?
    Keep in mind that PFG-03 may not be a 100% reliable source for Lippmann photos. Perhaps there was/is too much fluctuation from one batch to another.
    As for the processing, some rehalogenating bleaches may actually damage the integrity of the recorded “Lippmann fringes“. So using a colloidal developer like GP-2 or alike seems to be a better approach. Since that method doesn't involve any bleaching, the finished layer will show both amplitude and phase characteristics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I shot the plates I made I used a speed graphic at F4 or what ever the widest aperture was. It usually was about a 4 min exposure, and I did use gp-2 to develop them, with no fixer, and two alcohol baths one at 70% and the other at 90+. the alcohol dips really bought up the colors . Those pfg-03 plates should work
    here's a link that may help
    http://holoforum.org/data/lippmann/B...hotography.pdf
    He's been making these for years and he uses those plates
    Good luck-It took me 3 years to something that came close to anything acceptable

Rob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi again,
    I try follow your instruction from your posts here thanks but still no acceptable results :/. I split GP-2 to GP-A and GP-B.

GP-A
    Phenidone 0,2g
    Hydroquinone 5g
    Sodium Sulfite (Andhydrous) 100g
    Potassium Hydroxide 5g
    to distilled water 1000ml

GP-B
    Ammonium Thiocyanate 12g
    to distilled water 200ml

Solution: 3x 15ml GP-A + 4 ml GP-B + 100ml H2O to fill my bath.

Proccesing (all around 20 degree):
    1. bath 10% in chrome alum (5 min)
    2. development (3min)
    3. bath in water (8min) (just bath or use flowing water even should i use water?
    4. bath in 2% glycerin (2min)
    5. isopropyl alcohol 70% (2min)
    6. isopropyl alcohol 90% (2min)

exposure was 4 min in Lab where i try make diffused light (next time ill do it outside) but dont think thats the main problem.
    Still using PFG-03C but this looks fine because i was trying hologram and it was ok( Think that they are out of date).
    One more question for PFG-03C is needed pre-development hardening by formaldehyd how many % it should be and how long should i bath it? After this i should start processing recommended from Slavich thats mean hardening again?

here are my results maybe u got same problem and someone and give me advice why it looks like now and what to improve or change on left is proccesing for PFG-03C on right GP-2 result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proccesing for PFG-03C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	741.9 KB 
ID:	67512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP-2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	692.9 KB 
ID:	67511
    Last edited by SemFyzik; 04-20-2013 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin