Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,785   Online: 775

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post

As for formalin, sounds like it's time to start going door-to-door to mortuaries...
    I've listed appropriate substitutes above that are more easily obtained.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know, thank you. It's not as funny though, as the idea of going around to mortuaries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know, thank you. It's not as funny though, as the idea of going around to mortuaries.
    Ummm, what can I say. Kinda made me ill thinking of it!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE, I know there are some Lippmann's in Rochester, are you familiar with any elsewhere in the U.S.?

Sorry I made you ill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE, I know there are some Lippmann's in Rochester, are you familiar with any elsewhere in the U.S.?

Sorry I made you ill

I guess I don't follow your question. Sorry.

If you mean people with that name, I guess I am not aware of any personally anywhere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I guess I don't follow your question. Sorry.

If you mean people with that name, I guess I am not aware of any personally anywhere.

PE
    The first Lippmann I met in DC; He lived in the basement for a while then became owner or something of a popular "gentleman's club" in georgetown; I assume "gentleman" here is a socially acceptable way of saying nude or topless bar. Strange use of language but in anycase,
    he was not related.

However, there is a Lippmann at the Smithsonian... down the street aways.

It (obviously, a Lippmann photograph) used to be on display for quite a while but had been taken down the last time I checked. I have details tucked away for the curious....
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 04-23-2010 at 01:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had not figured that this was about actual Lippmann color plates. Most museums have removed them due to the problems with the mercury. So, since they are not on display I would not know what they have in storage. I would assume that George Eastman House has some stored away but they probably will not display them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I had not figured that this was about actual Lippmann color plates. Most museums have removed them due to the problems with the mercury. So, since they are not on display I would not know what they have in storage. I would assume that George Eastman House has some stored away but they probably will not display them.

PE
    Hg was only required for making (quality) Lipps, not for their viewing.
    As far as I know, there is no residual Hg in the processed plates, but I guess that is mere speculation; I do not know that this has actually been studied.

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray;

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippmann_plate

I should have been more specific. Lippmann plates cannot be copied and very few of them were made. They are thus not abundant as museum pieces, and due to the toxicity of Mercury, few are being made today. I am referring to the color plates only.

In addition, the very limited viewing angle makes them less than ideal as display pieces.

That is my take on why you rarely see them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes they sure are few and far between!
    As an article of photography for the enjoyment of the masses they fail almost every test.
    The can have a nice "luminosity" if you will; sometimes almost like looking at reflector tape.

Unfortunately, seeing them is sometimes like trying to balance a jumping bean on your nose while standing on a bowling ball!

---
    PS good luck with your (computer) recovery! Sounds like they should offer you a free year's subscription.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin