Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,548,993   Online: 814

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW, Robert, you're definitely getting there! Incredible!, actual colors! And all that from a "black & white" plate; this is exciting.

How representative is the picture you've attached of the real deal? Does it look better in person? My Lippmann fervor is revived...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    WOW, Robert, you're definitely getting there! Incredible!, actual colors! And all that from a "black & white" plate; this is exciting.

How representative is the picture you've attached of the real deal? Does it look better in person? My Lippmann fervor is revived...
    Definitely looks better in person. The plate has an iridescence ( the turquoise looks like a beetle ), better color and contrast when properly viewed. The brightness of the surface reflection makes is difficult to photograph. I really need a 10deg prism for better viewing.

One thing that is interesting between the pyro developed and GP-2 developed plates is that this plate ( GP-2 ) has a much tighter viewing angle. Even small changes from optimum angle & the color vanishes. Not the case with the pyro plate. Also the GP-2 plate with 4min exposure is drastically darker than the 2min exposure, almost un-viewable. Whereas the pyro plates at 2min, 4min & 8min all were very close in appearance.

And lastly. These have a rather narrow dynamic range of maybe 3 stops. I'll get a better idea when I get the exposure nailed, but there is only about 3 stops between the solarized mailbox and the tall blue ecium in the background.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A quick update....

I've built a plate holder and the GP-2 chemicals are on the way. Should be making my attempts soon.

But in the interim, I've been thinking a bit about interference photography like this. I recently discovered what dichroic filters are; interference filters! Call me ignorant, but I'm new to this..

So, we all know that the Lippmann photograph records colors in the same manner, by microscopic interference (iridescence) patterns in the emulsion, but it results in an image only viewable by reflection, not transmission. I'm struggling to understand why there can't be a transmission Lippmann photograph; essentially making a "dynamic" dichroic filter that relates to the colors of the image, in other words, an interference photograph that's viewable by transmission. Imagine a picture made in this way.... I would have to think it would be incredible.

Any thoughts? What conditions would have to be present for this to work?

*edit* Here's a resource I haven't seen before, might have some useful info for those interested http://books.google.com/books?id=1J0...chrome&f=false
    Last edited by holmburgers; 06-11-2010 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added website....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A quick update....

I've built a plate holder and the GP-2 chemicals are on the way. Should be making my attempts soon.

But in the interim, I've been thinking a bit about interference photography like this. I recently discovered what dichroic filters are; interference filters! Call me ignorant, but I'm new to this..

So, we all know that the Lippmann photograph records colors in the same manner, by microscopic interference (iridescence) patterns in the emulsion, but it results in an image only viewable by reflection, not transmission. I'm struggling to understand why there can't be a transmission Lippmann photograph; essentially making a "dynamic" dichroic filter that relates to the colors of the image, in other words, an interference photograph that's viewable by transmission. Imagine a picture made in this way.... I would have to think it would be incredible.

*edit* Here's a resource I haven't seen before, might have some useful info for those interested http://books.google.com/books?id=1J0...chrome&f=false

I'm not clear on how they were projecting the Lippmann images, but I think you came across Lippmann projector made by Zeiss.

It would be interesting to know if they were reflecting light off the plate or transmitting light thru the plate in these projectors. American Amateur Photographer ( Vol 10 - 1898 ) has several articles about Lippmann color images being projected at various lectures.

Hope you are successful with your Lippmann Images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, that was a reflection projection. Aphengenoscope I believe, basically an opaque projector.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you actually get to read the relavant section you quoted?

I only got 3 piss poor snippits... and enough energy to fire an angry line or two off to google... politely, of course!

I don't expect much from second hand sources, but I still like to see everything, at least once.

Which reminds me...
    Some of the files mentioned before, mostly in French, are not actually there... and those that are, are in fairly poor shape... If anyone types French quickly (?), a good clean copy of those articles would help smooth the way for at least initiall attemps at machine translation. As it is now, they are not suitable for OCR and untill they are translated, or retyped, nonreaders will remain in the dark.

If anyone wants to undertake this job in waiting, I have all of the files ready to send....
    Be free of all deception, Be safe from bodily harm
    Love without exception, Be a saint in any form
    (Patti Smith)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently discovered what dichroic filters are; interference filters! Call me ignorant, but I'm new to this..

I guess there could be a transmission image. Lippmann and others observed that highly efficient photographs (particularly those recorded on dichromated gelatin and dichromated albumine) actually do reveal the complementary colors. The image then has to be viewed in a "transmission mode".

You might have heard also about the MICRO-DISPERSION METHOD (see for example Friedman's History of Color Photography, p.25 - http://www.archive.org/stream/histor...erich_djvu.txt)

As for interference filters, I believe there have been attempts making them by means of Lippmann photography. Nowadays, this can be done with holography in a much easier way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
    You might have heard also about the MICRO-DISPERSION METHOD (see for example Friedman's History of Color Photography, p.25 - http://www.archive.org/stream/histor...erich_djvu.txt)
    Just for reference, there is also a full scanned PDF file of 73MB of the same book available on the Internet Archive site:

http://www.archive.org/download/hist...00frierich.pdf

Since there are figures and even some mathematical equations in the document, this will be more useful for reading.

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Ray,

I've discovered this thread only today. I'm fascinated with early color photography technologies such as Autochromes, so I'm extreemly excited to discover there was another process that seems to be even older and more accurate (color rendition wise) than Autochromes. I'm French and studied Physics for a while at College, so I would be happy to try to translate into English the french papers you cite. I'm not a professional translater and I may need some time as my free time is limited and already pretty busy but since this project sounds so exciting I'll do my best to be fast and effective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Just for reference, there is also a full scanned PDF file of 73MB of the same book available on the Internet Archive site:

http://www.archive.org/download/hist...00frierich.pdf

Since there are figures and even some mathematical equations in the document, this will be more useful for reading.

Marco
    I downloaded that book and spent some time browsing the chapters. Quite fascinating for those interested historical color processes.

Thanks for the link.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin