Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,129   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Stupid question about tri-color

Alrighty. Say I shoot three 4x5 negatives. One through a Green, Red, and Blue filter. I then take these images, contact print them onto halftone film. I take the corresponding contact prints/slides and then dye them red, green, and blue, with respective to the filter used. I take these three dyed clear positives, overlay them perfectly, and... Will it make a color positive?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It should. I've done this digitally and it worked pretty well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll want cyan, magenta, and yellow dye. If curious, look up the dye transfer process, it should answer your questions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. It works. In fact there is a pseudo Kodachrome process in which you can use couplers to get positive dye images and by laminating the 3 images you have, in effect, a real Kodachrome.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Yes. It works. In fact there is a pseudo Kodachrome process in which you can use couplers to get positive dye images and by laminating the 3 images you have, in effect, a real Kodachrome.

PE
    I'm probably going to get in way over my head, but in laymans terms, how would one make the dye copulers, and how would they function?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The process uses 3 color developers with 3 color couplers. These chemicals are outlined in a number of books, patents and also were sold by Kodak for those doing the Kodachrome process. I have posted generic structures here before, but if you want me to, I can look them up again.

There is a C, M and Y coupler set and the cyan is normally a 4 chloro phenol, the magenta is normally a pyrazolone and the yellow is an aceto-acetate.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are there people that regularly create their own Kodachromes, or is it more of an idea?

And where did you post it? In a topic, or as an article?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The idea is well known and was the basis for making single color test coatings of Kodachrome. It was published in a textbook on color photography in the 40s by Leadly and Stegmeyer. It was the basis for early color processes and is used to demonstrate Kodachrome.

I did not originate this. I am aware, quite aware of it having been done by many since the days of Mannes and Godowsky. They refined it to make a tripack coated as one film and that is their contribution.

Early examples were exposed in a 3 color camera, and developed to yield a positive 3 color image.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    http://www.rockaloid.com/products.html#selecta

I've tried this to limited success. I've been told I need to raise the pH of a C41 developer to get good results on film.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the printing industry, the halftone screens are rotated differently so the dots don't overlay each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin