Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,424   Online: 1137

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Paraformaldehyde substitution

Mixed up a simple hydroquinone developer and had some limited success with it - Got infectious development but no significant colour shift, although I did get some browns when dipped in selenium toner.

Looking at some at the recipes, several call for paraformaldehyde - Not something that is readily available, but I can get a 10% solution of formaldehyde. Not being a chemist, can I use this as a substitute, and how much would be required if the original formula calls for 30g ?

I have seen suggestion that acetone can be used in place of paraformaldehyde, but some say it is ineffective.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I cani't help you with the substitution issue but here is a link to a lith (assuming that as you speak of infectious development) developer without formaldehyde: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum222/...developer.html

There's also a number 2 developer by the same author in the recipe section.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have formalin, and paraformaldehyde now. Prior to getting the dry form, I would substitute when needing the para form (mostly in in lth developers) by knowing that formalin is a saturated 37% w/w solution of formaldehyde. So the weight of the 100% active ingredient in the solution could be calculated. It was used by weighing out the liquid; not a usual occurance, but it would work.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jerevan - I had come across the Dr Jekyll formulas, but if I recall the details correctly, neither version produced colour shifts with Ilford papers.

Next time I go shopping, I'll pick up some different papers for lith printing along with a wider range of chemicals - Open to suggestions as to what produced colour changes and what doesn't work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if the Dr Jekyll formulas produce any colour on the Ilford papers. I am not that far into lith yet. If any of them work, that would be the warmtone versions. I think the Ilford papers in general are pretty stubborn and set in their ways (which is great if that's what you need). Fomatone is able to produce an amazing array of colours, especially coupled with toners, from the examples I've actually seen. I've gotten a nice sepia split tones with Fomabrom III in redevelopment lith, but I can't say if I am ever able to reproduce it... Otherwise Fomabrom III (not IV which is a different thing in lith, it seems) is pretty grainy (industrial decay comes to mind) and less colourful.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Where does one get paraformaldehyde in Toronto? Nymoc does not carry it.
    Marek Warunkiewicz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my para from JD last year before Claire closed her doors. I don't know where I will find more; I also have most of a litre of formalin tucked away. I am not sure where to source them once these are gone.

Certainly not Home Hardware; hell you have to ask them to order in sodium hydroxide i.e. red devil lye drain cleaner. Think of how much simpler the world would be without meth heads.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin