Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,857   Online: 965

Images

Collodian material list-What don't I need to start?

Thank you Mr. Smigiel for creating this wonderful PDF.

As a rank beginner I would like to know what, on this list is needed, to begin and what can wait.

Any advice would be nice.

http://my.net-link.net/BA/D5/jsmigie...onSupplies.pdf
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://www.collodion.com/forum/

Not wanting to distract from APUG but there really is a wealth of info at the forums linked above
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    collodion usp
    potassium iodide
    190 proof grain ethanol (or denatured alcohol)
    distilled water
    silver nitrate
    ferrous sulfate
    acetic acid (or vinegar)
    sodium thiosulfate
    glass stuff to hold and measure the volatile stuff above
    glass or trophy aluminum sheets
    coffee filters
    ethyl ether would come in handy but you can probably do without initially

You might also want some bromide salt to extend the spectral sensitivity and moderate contrast. Typical formulas to make ~300ml of working salted collodion use a couple grams of iodides to bromides in about a 4:3 ratio.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the MSDS for all the wetplate chemicals before you attempt the process. Ether and collodion have fire and explosion hazards, silver nitrate can cause blindness if splashed in the eyes, cadmium salts are toxic, etc.

The classic wetplate manual The Silver Sunbeam by John Towler MD, 1864 is available online. Lots of formulas & science, troubleshooting section, etc., is contained within.

Glad you found the pdf useful.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    http://www.collodion.com/forum/

Not wanting to distract from APUG but there really is a wealth of info at the forums linked above
    I have tried to register there a couple of times in the past but never heard back. I just tried again so we will see if anything happens this time.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quinn leads a busy life and it on the road a lot it seems. You might try sending him another letter.

Images
    I got in right away. Good stuff over there.

I did see that Bostic and Sullivan sells a complete starter kit sans dip tanks and other tankage. I'm going that route to get started. A bit expensive but if I don't like it I will not have bought bulk chemicals and have a crap load hanging around.

Shooter
    Large Format

Quinn's forum

I've found that the forum rejects free email sources as spam. If you want to register you will need to use a real email account.

good luck that forum is a huge source of info.

./e

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin