Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,371   Online: 1111

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 HIE? Oh no......

I was following up on a lead for a few extra 4x5 film holders. The man says he'll throw in some old film for free... it could be fun to play around with. It includes a box of 4x5 HIE. "Has it been refrigerated?" I ask breathlessly. "It was until about a year ago."

I could weep......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my last roll of HIE was a disappointment. I can't remember where I got it. I know it came in the mail from a far away land. Sadly, there was substantial fogging, and there was nothing printable on the roll. With sheet film, though you might be able to do some tests and adapt your development accordingly. I have some 4x5 HP4 of unknown vintage which is unusable under normal development but just might be printable with some reducing.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    He said it was free. Why not accept his offer and give it a try?
    Diane

Halak 41

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will take the film but expect to bin it after a couple of tests. My previous experience with HIE tells me that a year out of the fridge is very bad for it, even it it wasn't 20 years out of date.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lilian-

if you are interested in some HIE 4x5, I have 4 boxes of unopened, always refrigerated from the very last emulsion lot of HIE in 4x5 I'd be willing to sell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's like Scott asking mouse Lillian if she likes cheeze...

(actually in most of my cottage mouse trapping experience mice do seem to prefer peanut butter)

I too have a hoarded supply of HIE in the freezer. I can't decide if I should be shooting it. It is a paradox. I should be using it but when I use it up it will all be gone...

The last time I shot with it was a year ago after a member of a camera club gave a photoshop wokshop session of how to post process a conventional digital captured image into what he purported to be an infrared look.

At the next meeting I exhibitted a real b&w infrared taken under a under wratten 87 filter print and a panchomatic exposed print study of a downtown park walkway. The IR showed where the old grass beside the walkway had been overseeded with freshly growing shoots of grass. Cast iron lamp post and a wrought iron fence buried behind a willow tree in the pan print leapt out of the IR print. I got good reviews for my efforts, and talked about how my old Nikon Coolpix 950 alos can achive an almost comaprable effort with a wratten 87.
    my real name, imagine that.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott, I've kind of overspent my budget for film this year. I'm mostly upset that the film was kept cold for many years, then brought out and left to sit a year ago, long after he'd sold his Wista. Such a waste of a unique, irreplacable film.
    If you PM me with what you'd like for the film, I'll consider it for next years budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    (...) box of 4x5 HIE. "Has it been refrigerated?" I ask breathlessly. "It was until about a year ago."

I could weep......
    The horror... I can only imagine what you would have done with it, had it been OK. Some beautiful things, I would think.

Still, you might as well give it a try, despite it being unrefrigerated for 'bout a year.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just out of curiosity - 2005 exp HIE in 35mm, always refrigerated. is this still good?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I was following up on a lead for a few extra 4x5 film holders. The man says he'll throw in some old film for free... it could be fun to play around with. It includes a box of 4x5 HIE. "Has it been refrigerated?" I ask breathlessly. "It was until about a year ago."

I could weep......
    I have three boxes (4x5) that were from the last run and were frozen. The last box I tried had a very high b&f. I truly loved that film!
    I use efke ir820 now.
    Michael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin