Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,798   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

fabriano artistico for gum over platinum/kallitype?

hey guys. i was wondering if its possible to use fabriano artistico with platinum or kallitype processes. I want to do platinum with a few layers of gum.

if fabriano is not suitable what paper would you recommend for gm over platinum/kallitype?

thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can absolutely use FA for gumover platinum. It doesn't shrink, and that's critical when doing multiple layers. Some folks do a presoak just to be sure it's not going to shrink. I don't. For platinum printing you should do a 1.5% oxalic acid presoak. Platinum likes papers that are neutral or slightly acidic. I must give credit to Kerik for this info that he shared with me. I've used FA for gumovers and it works great. You can also use Arches Platine. It's great for platinum and gumovers as well. It will shrink though, so you should do a presoak.
    Good luck,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A side note: Not in the same league with Artistico (100% cotton) but Fabriano No. 5 (50% cotton only) can be used with iron processes w/o acid pre-treatment and works well for gumovers too. Try that also, you may like it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ok cool thanks very much for that. i will source some oxcalic acid and give that a go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FYI - oxalic acid is sold as wood bleach at many hardware stores.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm trying to do some gum over platinum for the alt exchange. I'm using some Fabriano Artistico that I shrunk and sized (gelatin) last summer for gum. I've just gotten started and I'm finding I need waaaaaaay long exposure times for the platinum. I didn't presoak with oxalic acid, so is that what happens if the paper is not acidic enough? Or is it the paper? The sizing? Something to do with sitting in a drawer for 4 or 5 months?

My half hour exposure is almost done. Let's see what they look like......

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I'm trying to do some gum over platinum for the alt exchange. I'm using some Fabriano Artistico that I shrunk and sized (gelatin) last summer for gum. I've just gotten started and I'm finding I need waaaaaaay long exposure times for the platinum. I didn't presoak with oxalic acid, so is that what happens if the paper is not acidic enough? Or is it the paper? The sizing? Something to do with sitting in a drawer for 4 or 5 months?

My half hour exposure is almost done. Let's see what they look like......
    How much platinum are you using? Platinum binds to gelatin and this reduces the image (not a problem with palladium).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My understanding of gum-over is that you should pre-shrink your paper, do your platinum print, THEN size and gum after.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, I'm using the Na2 method, so some, but not alot, of platinum. Even at half an hour the exposures was wispy. Thanks Scott, for the info about the sizing. I'll use the rest of the already-sized paper for gum only, and start over with new paper. I've got some big sheets of FA, so I'll fill the tub with water and get then shrunk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sly have you neutralized the paper beforehand? Do not omit that step; you need neutral paper and FA is far from being neutral...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin