Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,856   Online: 941

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I tried coating some of my home made paper today and exposing under my new (to me) UV light, but the paper just disintegrated during the wash. Ive now just coated the remaining sheets in gelatin / chrom alum to further size them. I also thought Id give cyanotype on glass another go, and I also sized some zinc sheet too as I fancied trying cyanotype on to metal.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As expected, the cyanotype on glass only left a very faint image - I never could get a decent cyanotype on glass! I can't work out if I need a thicker coating of gelatin, or multiple coatings of cyanotype.

As for the metal, well here's the image...

This was a zinc sheet, coating it with an acrylic gesso then a traditional cyanotype mix (with added citric acid). That yellow on the image is the solution that I just couldn't wash it - it really wouldn't shift, so it'll be interesting to see what will happen over the next few weeks / months...

I note that gesso is also alkaline and that's probably not ideal for cyanotype permanence, and I've just coated some glass and more zinc plates with it (using a glass rod to give a smoother surface). As I've still got some gelatin made up from last night, I might just overcoat the gesso with gelatin once it has properly dried.
    Last edited by vickersdc; 12-12-2010 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    Well I tried coating some of my home made paper today and exposing under my new (to me) UV light, but the paper just disintegrated during the wash. Ive now just coated the remaining sheets in gelatin / chrom alum to further size them. I also thought Id give cyanotype on glass another go, and I also sized some zinc sheet too as I fancied trying cyanotype on to metal.
    If the additional sizing does not work, have you considered mounting the paper to one of your zinc sheets?

Either way, looks like fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    Does your "home made paper" incorporate internal sizing? AKD helps to bind the fibers and lend a little more wet-strength. It should be incorporated in the wet-end for best results.

My preference is for gelatin hardened w/aldehyde - no staining, no residual salts, and very little swelling.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My paper has no internal sizing - originally I had added the arrowroot for that purpose, but it quite clearly made no difference! Anyway, I'm pleased to report that a couple of smaller pieces (that had been arrowroot'ed), had the gelatin / chrom alum size added (dipped into the solution). I then exposed these as normal and started to wash them. Then I ran out of time, so I left them in a slightly acidulated water bath for about 4 hours! They were fine, actually it was really handy as I was having trouble clearing all the solution out

Hopefully this week I'll get a chance to put the gelatin over the gesso (on the zinc sheets and the glass) and see how that goes.

Thank you for your replies.
    David.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've now done the gelatin and gesso thing, and had a mixed result (most likely due to my own inability to wait the required amount of time!).

Using the glass rod for the gesso was, even if I say so myself, a moment of pure genius The final image looks loads better for not having all those brush strokes running through it!

I mixed up a gelatin / chrom alum solution and coated the gesso & zinc sheet. This did almost completely eliminate the problem with the gesso wrinkling up when put into water (I washed the image in a small plastic food tray). The image washed out quickly too - nothing like as long as I did when just using gesso. Unfortunately for me, I didn't wait a full 24(?) hours to allow the gelatin to harden and one patch did wash off

I'll wait a bit longer until I do the remaining zinc sheet and glass plates! Overall though, I'm rather pleased with this attempt, despite it's obvious imperfections, and I hope the gelatin will act to buffer the cyanotype from the alkaline gesso.

Thank you.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin