Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,552   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Analog IR Photography

I love digital modified infrared photographs but these cameras are expensive for me. I have Canon EOS 1000 Analog.
    What do you advise for to start ? IR films are illegal here.

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    IR films are illegal here.
    ???

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    terrorism

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Ilford SFX 200 which is, if I recall correctly, not a "real" infrared, but only a "near-infrared" film. But I don't know whether you can get this film legally into Turkey.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can I use regular film and filters ? If I am not wrong , they are very dark , is that true ? If there is filter option and if you describe it , I will be glad. And also , there are narrow band schott filters , anyone tried this satellite technology ? Astronomers have many filters but I dont know they are suitable for example for archaeology ?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mustafa you can use:

Kodak HIE
    Kodak EIR
    Konika Infrared

Efke IR 820
    Rollei IR
    Agfa Avipan 400S
    Rollei Superpan 200
    Rollei Retro 80S
    Ilford SFX

ALL infrared films still have an amount of sensitivity outside their IR-range. Thus you must use filters in order not cover or spoil the IR-detection by the resting sensitivity. The less the overall IR-sensitivit of a film is in relation to the resting sensitivity the more precise (steepness and extent of cut-off of filter curve) the filtration has to be. This is especially true for the second group.

CGross
    Hi Mustafa, of the films AgX listed, I use Efke IR 820 and Rollei IR.

To get the typical infrared affect you will need to use a IR filter. One of the more popular filters is called a R72. I have one made by Hoya.

Here is a link that helped me. http://www.digitaltruth.com/products...i_infrared.php

There are lots of other resources if you google infrared film.

I think your model of camera has a little window on the film door that lets you see what film is loaded. I had to put some black tape on the inside of the door of a similar camera so I didn't get fogging of the film. You may have to do the same.

The best thing to do is get some IR film, an IR filter and start testing. There's a lot of information about where to start with your exposures (ISO selection), etc here on APUG. That should get you in the ball park but you will still need to test to determine what your optimum exposure settings will be. I bracket almost all shots.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why the heck is IR film illegal? You say "terrorism", but what does that mean?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I could understand thermal cameras being illegal but this is just outside the visible wavelengths.

The closest you can get to infrared is with deep red filters and normal film. The sky will darken, the leaves will lighten, but not to the extent of real infrared films.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Laws aren't always rationally written, of course. A law intended to restrict thermal cameras could have the side effect of making "regular" IR films illegal even though that wasn't the original point.

But there just ain't no way to do analog IR photography without IR film. If it truly is illegal---not just thermal films, but SFX 200 and IR 820 and all the rest---then I think the OP is stuck with d*g*t*l.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin