Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,989   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Liquid Emulsion Formula needed!

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm not a frequent visitor to this area.

Does anyone have a formula for a reasonable liquid emulsion? I'm looking for something that can be applied to thick watercolor paper with a brush and has a reasonable contrast and speed for enlargements.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph,

You might try Denise Ross's site The Light Farm I have not read everything on the site and do not know if she has a formula for enlarging speed emulsion. We met at a carbon transfer workshop run by Vaughn Hutchins. I had a chance to see some really nice contact prints she made using her emulsions; both silver and gum over silver. She has scans on the site of some of the prints I saw. She also makes dry plates and made carbon transfer prints from one of them.
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ralph,
    In my cursory searching I haven't yet stumbled across a formula on APUG, however this search reveals some interesting APUG threads.
    regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Hi Ralph,
    In my cursory searching I haven't yet stumbled across a formula on APUG, however this search reveals some interesting APUG threads.
    regards
    Peter
    Dan and Peter

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll investigate, but I'm starting to think, this is too complicated for me.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have posted two formulas here on APUG. Sorry that I don't have exact references, but there is a slow speed and a high speed (contact and enlarging) version there. One similar formula is sold premade and ready to coat in 2 contrast grades by the Photographers Formulary.

So, with the references here, you can make your own, or buy a contact speed emulsion at the Formuary in 2 grades.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have posted two formulas here on APUG. Sorry that I don't have exact references, but there is a slow speed and a high speed (contact and enlarging) version there. One similar formula is sold premade and ready to coat in 2 contrast grades by the Photographers Formulary.

So, with the references here, you can make your own, or buy a contact speed emulsion at the Formuary in 2 grades.

PE
    PE

Any idea on how I would find them? Keywords?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "A Real Formula" was the title of one thread, and "Bruce Kahn" was a key word in another. The first is a fast emulsion and the second is an Azo type originated by my friend Bruce, who gave me permission to post it. That latter emulsion is used at RIT for teaching emulsion making. I have refined it considerably in the version the Formulary has.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If platinum/palladium emulsion is of interest, I have a suggestion but I'm not at home now. I could post it later if there is any interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    If platinum/palladium emulsion is of interest, I have a suggestion but I'm not at home now. I could post it later if there is any interest.
    Jeffrey;

I take it that emulsion refers to any Silver halide crystal in gelatin. Other preparations are, by the definition of the terms used, not emulsions. This is no criticism, but is meant to clarify for those who ask the question.

Pt/Pd are liquids mixed and spread on a support. They do not form an emulsion or dispersion AFAIK, and in fact, some formulations of Pt/Pd are not compatible with gelatin.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Many thanks, but I am indeed interested in a silver-gelatin emulsion.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin