Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,401   Online: 876

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Lukoszevieze View Post
    it is much cheaper to mix your own......

And if you find the process is not for you, there are a crap load of chemicals, potentially dangerous chemicals, sitting around.

This seems to be the best method to try the process. You have sufficient chemicals to do a decent number of plates and build up a good solid addiction. After you exhaust these, you start cooking your own up..

I also don't want to spend my learning time trouble shooting chemicals in the mixing stage.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes it is cheaper but not everybody wants to have a bottle of Ether or collodion at home then there is the Alcohol many states do not allow the sale of pure grain 190 proof
    and to ship the ether you have to pay a hazmat fee and special box , scale then there is the actual mixing and filtering of both the colloid and the Varnish so cheaper is a variable that people that will like to try the process may not want to get into of the get go
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    On an amber bottle well protected from heat it should last ( depending where you live) 4 to 6 months
    Gustavo Castilla
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Thanks, folks.

It's all useful to me. Right now the priority is finding someone for one-on-one instruction. If I'm honest, I'll admit that's my ideal way of learning especially on something I have no previous foundation in. I also have one of Ty Guillory's wonderful hand-made cameras and would like to have my initial learning happen on that.
    From what I understand, Colin, wet plate can leave pretty nasty stains on cameras. Don't know if you want to use a nice camera! For the next APUG Pacific NW get-together (Eureka, CA, Oct 2010), I have a wet plate demo lined up. I am looking forward to seeing it done!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You have sufficient chemicals to do a decent number of plates and build up a good solid addiction. After you exhaust these, you start cooking your own up.. LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had that worry as well, but was correctly informed that these stains become badges of honor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    From what I understand, Colin, wet plate can leave pretty nasty stains on cameras. Don't know if you want to use a nice camera! For the next APUG Pacific NW get-together (Eureka, CA, Oct 2010), I have a wet plate demo lined up. I am looking forward to seeing it done!

Vaughn
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Silver stains are in a way badges of honour, the process is such a wonderful one in so many ways that the cosmetic degradation of the camera is incidental. The chemicals are not dangerous if treated with respect, collodion at home is not dangerous, ether one has to be careful with (I keep it in an outhouse in a locked chest). The Bostick collodion uses cadmium, something I wouldn't want to use in my collodion.............. and of course silver nitrate has to be treated with respect.

Shooter
    Large Format
    For anyone interested in some instruction, the Rayko Photography Center in San Francisco has an excellent series of wet plate classes. The field classes use Rayko's mobile darkroom.

http://raykophoto.com/?page_id=923
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is correct Andrew !
    that is why the practitioners are call Black Paws
    Gustavo Castilla
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hah! Badges of honour... love it.

Ty's cameras are truly beautiful things, but they are specifically made for wetplate, so I suppose one has to accept a few 'badges' along the way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin