Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,026   Online: 1047

Shooter
    35mm

UHMW or delrin for coating rod?

Hi All--

I didn't find anything with a search...

Everyone seems to use glass for a coating rod, but I've got some UHMW polyethylene and some Delrin rod lying around. Is there any reason I shouldn't use either of these for coating? Both are non-porous and non-reactive, and fairly rigid.

Any experience or advice??

--Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would say either is OK, but try it and see.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by gmikol View Post
    Hi All--

I didn't find anything with a search...

Everyone seems to use glass for a coating rod, but I've got some UHMW polyethylene and some Delrin rod lying around. Is there any reason I shouldn't use either of these for coating? Both are non-porous and non-reactive, and fairly rigid.

Any experience or advice??

--Greg
    When I used coating rods, I tried a plastic one and hated it. The plastic tends to drag compared to glass rods.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never done any coating, however there is a major difference between glass, UHMW plastic, and Delrin. The difference is glass is microscopically porous, where the plastics are not, and actually slippery. I use both plastics for woodworking jigs and fixtures. I'm no chemist, so I couldn't tell the specifics, but both have an apparant self-lubricating property, that allows other materials to slide along them with relative ease,like they are lubed. That being said, the pores on glass give a cling factor the other materials dont have. So the only thing left to do is what Photo Engineer said, try it and see.

Rick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin