Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,003   Online: 846

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Photogravure questions

Hello all,

I'm interested in photogravure - the instructions outlined at a few websites talk about gelatin pigment paper - the wikipedia article says:

"Macdermid Autotype, the last manufacturer of the gelatin pigment paper (tissue) needed to make traditional copper plate photogravure, announced in August 2009 that the product would no longer be manufactured."
    I'm not so interested in solarplate (in which I've played with a little) and want to learn the proper copperplate gravure. I get the feeling that if they were doing this process over a century and more ago that it could be done independent of some specific product or other.

Anyone have any info on etching copperplate photographically ? I guess like the they did 'back then' ...

Have a look at these - really inspiring stuff:

http://www.magical-secrets.com/artists/middleton/video

Kind Regards,
    Nick Mulder
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nick,
    you should go to Bostick and Sullivans website. Dick Sullivan has started making a transfer medium for the process. He did have a special forum for this but it has disappeared from their website. You might want to email him about it.
    Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hello from Melbourne !

http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone...t=0&#entry6965

Still though, photogravure from what I understand has been around since almost day 1 - So I guess my question is how was it done back then ? I read about people etching daguerreotypes, but that is a process I don't think I'll get around to.

They made their own gelatin sheet as Richard is ?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    The printing part of gravure is done with an etching press, of the type using in traditional printmaking shops. Good presses are expensive and take up lots of room. It might help to work with a local printmaking shop, the type that use etching presses, since after the copper plate is properly made it's mechanical reproduction.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yup, I have a printing teacher and her personal studio press to assist with the printing I've done some solarplate work with her previously...

I'm interested in the photo sensitive etching procedure for copper at the moment - keen to understand how it was done before the Autotype gelatin sheets were made available.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What about buying chemicals (photoresist and etching acids) from electronics stores that are designed for printed circuit board manufacturing? The photoresist generally comes in spray cans and exposure to light changes its resistance to the etching chemicals, which chew away the copper. That tends to give you a binary (etched / not-etched, no shades of grey) result though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yup,

I've done PCB etching - you can achieve tonality via halftone screens, as some have indeed done on PCB's even ...

I'm really after the traditional pictorialist methods however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, hope this help, sorry, no brain to align the pages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photogravure-P1.jpg   Photogravure-P2.jpg   Photogravure-P3.jpg   Photogravure-P4.jpg   Photogravure-P5.jpg  

Photogravure-P6.jpg   Photogravure-P7.jpg   Photogravure-P8.jpg   Photogravure-P9.jpg   Photogravure-P10.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photogravure-P11.jpg   Photogravure-P12.jpg   Photogravure-P13.jpg   Photogravure-P14.jpg   Photogravure-P15.jpg  

Photogravure-P16.jpg   Photogravure-P17.jpg   Photogravure-P18.jpg   Photogravure-P19.jpg   Photogravure-P20.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Done...

Source: Gravure

Authors: Taneli Eskola and Kari Holopainen

University of Art and Design Helsinki UIAH

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photogravure-P21.jpg   Photogravure-P22.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin