Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,777   Online: 861

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Alt process printing paper negatives?

Since I'd love to make 8x10 contact prints, I've been reading a lot about paper negatives, and many people successfully contact print them onto traditional paper without doing anything to make them more transparent. However, I'm wondering if this is feasible with the slower speeds of most alt processes. If my normal exposure times are in the 10-20 minute range with a 4x5 film negative, what could I expect with a paper negative with or without making it more transparent?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by singerb View Post
    Since I'd love to make 8x10 contact prints, I've been reading a lot about paper negatives, and many people successfully contact print them onto traditional paper without doing anything to make them more transparent. However, I'm wondering if this is feasible with the slower speeds of most alt processes. If my normal exposure times are in the 10-20 minute range with a 4x5 film negative, what could I expect with a paper negative with or without making it more transparent?
    Expect very long exposure times since the paper fiber will add about two stops to your printing times.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Expect very long exposure times since the paper fiber will add about two stops to your printing times.

Sandy King
    Ok, so if I could get a stop back somehow (I suspect I can get my light source closer to the paper) I could expect 20-40 minute print times...That's doable, since I can just set it and leave it while I do something else.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i will be doing this soon ...
    but instead of a light bank
    i will be using the sun.

they used to use paper negatives
    for calotypes ( the original paper negative ) ..
    the paper was sometimes oiled / waxed to make it more
    translucent ( from what i remember ) ..

have fun
    john

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I almost exclusively shoot with an 8x10 camera but when I have a smaller negative like 4x5 or 120 for kallitype or carbon transfer printing, I make a copy negative. Maybe you could try that route?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I almost exclusively shoot with an 8x10 camera but when I have a smaller negative like 4x5 or 120 for kallitype or carbon transfer printing, I make a copy negative. Maybe you could try that route?
    I'm not looking at paper negatives as an enlarging option, I'm considering an 8x10 pinhole using paper negatives to then contact print. I agree that for enlarging there are better options, but for in-camera work, 8x10 paper is much cheaper than 8x10 film! (Plus, you can use the same stuff for film and prints, and develop it the same way - easy!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you will not be bothered with the remaining fiber/debris, you can shoot with a plastic base paper then strip the emulsion and transfer in onto mylar. Soaking in hot water will let you strip the emulsion/image from the base...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

Sandy King
    If I somehow had a negative on some inkjet paper, would you expect the printing time to be comparable to a silver-gelatin paper negative? I've been experimenting a bit before I go down that route, and my light source may not be sufficient for paper negatives; even a 1.5 hour exposure wasn't close to being enough. If I have to use the sun it's not the end of the world, but I was hoping for workable times from my indoor setup; at that rate I'd have to leave it on all day!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I somehow had a negative on some inkjet paper, would you expect the printing time to be comparable to a silver-gelatin paper negative?
    I do this from time to time. The times are a bit long, maybe 2 stops longer than a normal neg, but about the same as an analogue paper neg. I use the glossiest nastiest inkjet paper I can. If you do it, dial back the contrast, dial it way back.

But we don't discuss this kind of thing here much, you can learn more on hybridphoto....

Why don't you just dupe to ortho film? It is very inexpensive and the process is quite easy. And 100% analogue. You first enlarge to make a lowish contrast interpositive on ortho film, then you contact print that onto more ortho film to get a larger neg. You can dev by inspection with a red safelight. Fun for the whole family.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I hadn't been considering interpos to negative steps, because of a perceived difficulty factor. But you're right, that does appear to be fairly simple with ortho film, and uses the same paper developer. Sounds like I've got a plan. I'll try it with 4x5 first, since I'm sure I'll get it wrong the first couple times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin