Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,369   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Exhibition of Carbon-on-Aluminum and Platinum Prints

An Exhibition of Photography at Firelands Association for the Visual Arts

Structural Elements
    Carbon Transfer Prints on Aluminum and Platinum Prints on Paper
    by Bob Herbst
    February 28 - April 9, 2010
    Public Opening Reception February 28, 2:00 - 4:00pm
    Firelands Association for the Visual Arts (FAVA) Main Gallery
    New Union Center for the Arts
    39 South Main Street
    Oberlin, Ohio 44074
    www.favagallery.org
    (440) 774-7158
    Also featured in a separate gallery room is photography by Rebecca Dickerson
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bobherbst; 01-31-2010 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have known Bob for a number of years and this show should be outstanding. If I was visiting the homelands of Cleveland this would be high on my list of must sees. Break a tripod leg.

All the best
    Jan/Gale Pietrzak

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Carbon on aluminum sounds like a great medium. I'm sure they don't translate well to the computer screen, but are there any scans online?

I'm also originally a Clevelander, but haven't spent much time there in the past 25 years. Best of luck with the show!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Reproductions of the carbon-on-aluminum prints are relatively useless. Most of the carbon images in the exhibition had previously been printed in platinum and on Azo. There is a distinct difference in the appearance of the image when viewed in person, but it will not translate on a monitor. The relief will definitely not come through. I could post a JPG directly from the negative scan and it would look the same. At some point in the next month before the show opening, I will have all of the images posted on my web site. Most are there already but distributed across a couple different galleries. Framing comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Carbon on aluminum sounds like a great medium. I'm sure they don't translate well to the computer screen, but are there any scans online?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bob, congratulations. I have not yet gotten to try carbon on aluminum yet but I remember seeing some of the images. They are great! Good luck with the show. Well deserved.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, congrats! Wish I were going to be in the part of the country...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A hearty congratulations to Bob for this body of work and for the exhibition. Unfortunately it is not possible to show surface relief in web images so I encourage everyone who can to attend this exhibition and see the real deal.

I saw a small example of Bob's work on aluminum a couple of years ago shortly thereafter also started experimenting in this media. As there is no one single look of carbon prints on paper there is also no one single look of carbon on aluminum as the final appearance of the image is much affected by the type of surface preparation. Most of my work has been on plain white aluminum surface, with as little surface prep as possible. It is also possible to print directly on some of the composite surface, Diabond and e-Bond for example, which are somewhat more dimensionally stable than plain aluminum sheets. These materials consist of two thin white aluminum sheets glued to some type of plastic core. As far as can determine there is little or no tradition of making carbon prints on aluminum so those working in the media today pretty much have to forge their own way in the the use of materials and surface preparation.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 02-12-2010 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wish I could make it to the hometown area (Elyria) in time to see the exhibit. Will have to settle for the images on your website, for now. Congrats on the exhibit.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Exhibition Delivered to the Gallery

I delivered the exhibition to the gallery yesterday. It consists of fifteen carbon-on-aluminum prints in 8x10, 12x15, and 12x20, seven 8x10 and 12x20platinum/palladium prints and one silver gelatin print.

The carbon prints are presented as bare plates, without glass, and floated inside a thin black frame on black painted wood panels. Thin wood strips hold the plate away from the backing panel. The plates come pre-painted and must be prepped and sized in advance. All of the carbon images were registered in the middle of the aluminum plate at transfer time during printing process. The aluminum plates have 3/4" radius rounded corners.

The platinum prints are matted and framed behind glass.

I'll post an image after the work has been installed at the gallery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking forward to seeing it...best wishes for a successful exhibition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin