Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,938   Online: 818

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    dwross , thank you very much indeed , my e mail address is mustafaumutsarac@gmail.com
    If you can scan with optical character recognition software , scanning took few hours but the file size becomes very small.
    If you scan it with picture jpeg format , it takes 80 mb or so . My e mail account accepts less than 20 mb posts. So you might use 4 mails least.
    I hope your scanner is fast and dont make you tired.
    I thank you again , this book is so expensive that I never be afford it at this winter time

Thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise, Mustafa;

I know of no one doing successful work on Autochromes. I see the results at that web site and I can say that they look nothing like the Autochromes I have in my posession and none that I have seen at exhibits. This is apart from coating flaws which I expect in this type of work.

I have been told by respected workers in the field that there were parts of the process that were not documented, and were "trade secrets", not Immaculate Conception! There is a difference. These trade secrets involve the use of that black pigment and the formation of lenticules out of the starch grains under pressure. There were apparently several more steps that were also omitted from the published documentation. People I know of have actually visited the site where the last of their machines is preserved and no one there knew how to operate the equipment, nor was there any documentation beyond the patents that the brothers published.

I guess it is not impossible, but very very difficult, and this person has a long way to go to get to the level of the original. I don't want to discourage anyone, but I personally am not going to work on this approach as it is far to difficult. Remember, an appendix can be removed via the mouth. Difficult but doable. There are easier ways to remove an appendix just as there are easier ways to achieve color.

My belief is that dye bleach is probably a better approach. I would also like to add that doing a Dufay type color material is rather easy and straightforward. I have seen it done.

Best wishes to those who wish to experiment on either approach.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 02-01-2010 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding Dufay comment.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be We can overcome with press problem with pressing the dyed grains before the coating in homemade smaller press in very small batches.

Than we collect all flatten grains ,

coat a flat glass with this flat grains , and of course they will lie on the glass surface with lots of angles.

We apply vibration or we close a second teflon plate on to the surface and hand press the grains with this second teflon plate while moving it to the right left .

Whenever we sure that every grain is parallel to the glass plate , we remove the teflon plate and take the adhesived autochrome plate and make them kiss .

And another question to you :

Do autochrome plate we made , contact copy the original French one exactly the same ?

If yes , We can make experiments until get the correct materials and methods until we get twins.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The currently posted Autochromes lack density, contrast and color saturation when compared to the original Autochromes that I have. They also lack the distinctive grain pattern evident even viewing an original Autochrome by eye.

The first 3 can be attributed to the silver quantity coated, the lack of the black pigment grains, and perhaps spectral sensitivity or dye quantities used. The second item may be attributed to the resolution of the scan, the fineness of the silver halide grain or the size of the starch particles.

As you see, there are too many things to ponder here to sort them out just by this simple viewing over the internet. The appended photos are the original box of stereo Autochromes that are in my posession and a scan of a 6x6 singlet from a pair that pretty much duplicates what the eye sees in terms of color and grain.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autochrome box.jpg   Autochrome.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ron , Where can buy from such a exposed plate ? Are they very expensive ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen plates like this and up to 5x7 in the price range of $20 - $60 US. They are rather common at photo shows which is where I picked these up.

One of the most beautiful was a 5x7 plate, a portrait of a young girl circa 1920 or so. Very beautiful. Of course, the grain appears to go down as the size of the plate increases.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_l5YNpRMm2e...h/DSC01481.JPG

Ron , look at this image , I took it with summitar Leica II F.
    I know what you mean with quality

Do you sell me one ?

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mustafa;

The color range in that photo is so limited, it is difficult to evaluate. The grain is exceptionally fine though. You should read the treatment of "grain" in this type of system in "History of Color Photography".

As for my slides, they are a complete set. I don't want to break the set.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PE: Out of curiousity, how would you dye a single layer emulsion that would hold the dye during processing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    PE: Out of curiousity, how would you dye a single layer emulsion that would hold the dye during processing?
    I would use an anionic dye and mordant it in place with a divalent or trivalent metal or use a cationic mordant. So, for example, I would dissolve a sulfonate of an azo dye in water + gelatin, then I would precipitate it in-situ with Aluminum or Calcium Sulfate, wash our the excess Sulfate, mix with the emulsion and coat.

This is exactly what I have done to make multi and single color coatings for dye bleach and it is quite simple.

PE

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin