Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,617   Online: 724

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

As noted earlier though, Autochrome was never coated on film material under that name. Dufay and Autochrome were coated on glass, and Dufay under its own name was coated on film.

PE
    So what where the famous Lumière "Autochrome" - Ultra-Rapid Filmcolor (cut film) and Lumière "Autochrome" Ultra Rapid Lumicolor (Roll film) then ?

Because that's how Lumiere marketed the film versions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somehow, from somewhere in my readings, I got the impression that Autochrome when coated on film, was sold under another name. I'm sorry for that error. Thanks Ian.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    I have seen quite a few examples of those screens... but what size scale are the ones you mention were done at Kodak? I don't think I have ever seen them done in poster size.... How much did they sell for at that size?
    Ray, there were indeed standard poster sized 3D moving posters produced by Eastman Kodak. IDK how much they cost.

A few years earlier, they made a trial run of Ektacolor paper using this technology, and were able to make 3D color prints. It was never sold and remained a lab curiosity.

So, there was a lot of 3D activity, studios used it, and I have no idea of where it stands today.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somehow, from somewhere in my readings, I got the impression that Autochrome when coated on film, was sold under another name. I'm sorry for that error. Thanks Ian.

No error Ron,

When Lumiere used a random filter grain made from starch grains coated on film, they designated it Filmcolor and Lumicolor. Later they used a different screen on a film named Alticolor.

But of course the coating technique employed on plates could not be employed on film (rolls), so in a way those two first films were no Autochromes in that meaning.
    Last edited by AgX; 02-05-2010 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AgX;

Thanks for the correction to the correction . I'm not as bad off as I thought. I was feeling pretty bad that my memory had slipped. That is exactly what I had in mind but could not recall the names.

I do have a question for you and Ian then. How does this fit with what Ian posted above?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ray, there were indeed standard poster sized 3D moving posters produced by Eastman Kodak. IDK how much they cost.

A few years earlier, they made a trial run of Ektacolor paper using this technology, and were able to make 3D color prints. It was never sold and remained a lab curiosity.

So, there was a lot of 3D activity, studios used it, and I have no idea of where it stands today.

PE
    I wonder where these huge posters are today... (I don't doubt you are correct that they were made... I have just never seen them. Maybe they were just for internal marketing?) Most, if not all of the ones I have seen are made by Toppan Insatsu - the post card sized images were selling for 5 or 10 USD the last time I saw them which was about 2 months ago.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    So what where the famous Lumière "Autochrome" - Ultra-Rapid Filmcolor (cut film) and Lumière "Autochrome" Ultra Rapid Lumicolor (Roll film) then ? Because that's how Lumiere marketed the film versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    When Lumiere used a random filter grain made from starch grains coated on film, they designated it Filmcolor and Lumicolor. Later they used a different screen on a film named Alticolor.
    I do have a question for you and Ian then. How does this fit with what Ian posted above?
    To my understanding both me and Ian were wrong a bit:

Lumière called their first screen film Lumière Filmcolor, but added the designation "Portrait Film Autochrome"

The later two films were just called Lumière Lumicolor and Lumière Alticolor.

see here for Alticolor (the same for Lumicolor):
    http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...064#enlargeimg
    Last edited by AgX; 02-05-2010 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: rewriting because of Filmcolor

Shooter
    Multi Format

PE
    Yes,
    Interesting question... I wonder... was the word "Autochrome" ever used the way one might use "Kleenex" or "Xerox" where a popular product name begins to be used to represent an entire group of smilar items... did "Autochrome" ever become synonymous with "color picture"?
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-06-2010 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    I wonder where these huge posters are today... (I don't doubt you are correct that they were made... I have just never seen them. Maybe they were just for internal marketing?) Most, if not all of the ones I have seen are made by Toppan Insatsu - the post card sized images were selling for 5 or 10 USD the last time I saw them which was about 2 months ago.
    Ray;

These were the standard huge posters in the lobby of our local theaters during the first run of the two pictures I mentioned. I also saw duplicates about 1 - 2 months earlier in a show at Kodak for employees. We signed a confidentiality agreement beforehand that expired when the posters were seen in theaters IIRC.

As you walked by, the dinosaur reached out at you and opened his jaws and the enterprise flew from in front of you through the starfleet logo and vanished into warp!

Those were the only two I saw externally. The others, I cannot comment on of course.

The 3D prints were rolls of normally processed Ektacolor 30 paper with the pebble surface for 3D, and they presented excellent color prints in 3D. There was also a talking photo. But then, these are other stories that were in my thread on things never released or released and then never seen again. Just like Kodachrome 400 with t-grains.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...things never released or released and then never seen again....

PE
    Makes me wonder about all the unseen products / inventons of the world... new drinks, flavors, planes, medicine, toys, games, music... each and every field must have many good ideas that never gained a foothold, perhaps not due to their failure, but to a decesion that they would never be good money makers.

To bad those things will dissapear.
    Someone should make a museum of things that could have been.

Ray

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin