Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 784

Shooter
    35mm RF

Collodion concentration

Hi all,

I'd like to try wet plate collodion, but I can only get 2% collodion, but the majority of sources I have read say a concentration of around 6-8% should be used.

Is it pointless using the 2% or should it work?

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Louis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.mavidon.com

This is where I order my collodion. Click on "Wet Plate Photography". I order the 625 ml bottles and they go a long way.

Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for that, but should have said I'm based in Ireland. I don't think you can send collodion over seas, can you?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Where are you located? You should be using USP collodion if possible, not non-flexible collodion--which contains castor oil and other additives. If your 2% collodion is pure (a mixture of only pyroxiline, ether, and ethanol), you may be able to use it. The final concentration of pyroxiline in salted collodion is about 2%, so you may have some success dissolving your iodide and bromide salts in the absolute smallest volumes of solvent (a couple mls), and then adding them directly to your 2% collodion. Your ether concentration will be higher than normal--maybe 70% vs. 59% for normal salted collodion, but it may be fine. Some collodion workers use ether concentrations as low as 30% if they dilute the collodion with only ethanol as a solvent. A bit higher might work, but if your mixture thickens with use, I'd dilute it back down with pure ethanol--which would bring your ether concentration closer to that in normal salted collodion. Before you waste your time, see if you can find a similar collodion preparation that's used in the US or Europe.

Edit: Ok, someone should be able to give you an EU source.
    Last edited by Barry S; 02-11-2010 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to contact Quinn Jacobson and get on the Collodion Forum. Quinn now lives in Europe and has helped a lot of wet heads over there obtain the goods. There are also a lot of Europeans on the forum that I am sure can help you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks! The collodion I USP, no castor oil added!

So I could add my salts in, just with a lot less ether/ethanol? I was thinking of doing that actually. Just wasn't too sure!

I'm based in Ireland by the way!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullspace View Post
    Thanks! The collodion I USP, no castor oil added!

So I could add my salts in, just with a lot less ether/ethanol? I was thinking of doing that actually. Just wasn't too sure!

I'm based in Ireland by the way!!
    Use ethanol as a solvent, and the absolute least you can get away with--you don't want any more ether. Bill's advice to ask Quinn about a collodion source is a good idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    You might want to contact Quinn Jacobson and get on the Collodion Forum. Quinn now lives in Europe and has helped a lot of wet heads over there obtain the goods. There are also a lot of Europeans on the forum that I am sure can help you.
    There are a few Irish people on the board too

Eoghan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin