Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,844   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What is it called when you use an amount of discrete molecules / amount of discrete molecules ratio ?

I would have thought this would be the best approach considering the actual activity is on a molecule to molecule basis - once you knew the reactions things like capacity would become easier to understand for instance
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on compounds used it can be called Molar or Normal. A Molar solution contains 6.023 x 10^23 molecules (the Avogadro number) of the substance in question and an amount of solvent atoms that can be calculated using the Avogadro number applied to the quantity of the solvent.

That is, if I understood your question correctly.

Going on then, one mole of Sodium Hydroxide made up to 1 liter with water can react exactly 1:1 with 1 mole of Hydrochloric acid made up to 1 liter with water. This is because they react 1:1 and you have exactly 1 mole of each substance.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Depending on compounds used it can be called Molar or Normal. A Molar solution contains 6.023 x 10^23 molecules (the Avogadro number) of the substance in question and an amount of solvent atoms that can be calculated using the Avogadro number applied to the quantity of the solvent.

That is, if I understood your question correctly.

Going on then, one mole of Sodium Hydroxide made up to 1 liter with water can react exactly 1:1 with 1 mole of Hydrochloric acid made up to 1 liter with water. This is because they react 1:1 and you have exactly 1 mole of each substance.

PE
    Yup, you understood my question ... Ok Molar or normal.

Seems like a more accurate way to go about things, but I guess with the added complication of having to learn or know how things react to find how the ratio will work and then the weight or volume to molar amount facts and figures - but what's a little chemistry amongst analog photographers

Images
    This is exactly why I had a head ache. I jus wanna take pichers
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you just want to take pitchers then use prepared chemicals and don't scratch mix your own. That way you do not have to deal with chemistry, percents and other annoying chemical trivia which are not really needed to be a good photographer.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you just want to take pitchers then use prepared chemicals and don't scratch mix your own. That way you do not have to deal with chemistry, percents and other annoying chemical trivia which are not really needed to be a good photographer.

PE
    When I started photography it was all about the shoot - processing simply done at the lab and the output was taken for granted that what I got was what I got... The more I read up and get into printing (alt) the more and more it fascinates me - at the moment I'm finding it hard to rectify the word 'photographer' with the printing process - printing has such huge variable capability it's really merely an associated practice done by 'printers'...

Well, that's what I'm trying on for size anyway - we'll see how far I get with it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick, you are absolutely right. But, then you have to learn some elements (pun alert) of chemistry.

I am merely trying to clarify the two and mention the alternatives.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually the chemistry knowledge you need for photographic work (unless you're formulating something new or take something and try to improve it and/or adapt to your special needs) is pretty simple - Chemistry 101 level. I'm very comfortable with my 20 y/o high school chemistry knowledge (and I have done nothing to improve it during all that time...), do alt-processes, mix my own developer, compound something I need from something else I've already got on hands... Maybe it's something related to the difference between the American and Turkish education systems, I don't know.

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chemistry education (and Physics as well) is in a rather sad state here I think. Not like it was when I took it. It seems like people are afraid of Chemistry and kind of afraid of the sciences in general.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I quite liked Chemistry in high school in the US about 13 years ago now. Didn't seem too bad. I have to admit mixing photo chemicals for alt processes is easier than high school chemistry class... Don't have to write up lab reports afterwards either.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin