Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,413   Online: 897

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, the most complex alt-process mixing I can think of is New Cyanotype or Argyrotype. (And that's w/o having silver(I) oxide on hands...) And both are pretty easily accomplished.

Depends on which school you've attended + your personal interest to the subject then...

Regards,
    Loris.

Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I quite liked Chemistry in high school in the US about 13 years ago now. Didn't seem too bad. I have to admit mixing photo chemicals for alt processes is easier than high school chemistry class... Don't have to write up lab reports afterwards either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that today, the schools are more interested in protecting the students from any potential injury in chem lab than they are in teaching and more interested in sports than in science.

PE

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus the students and almost everyone else in society are told that "chemicals" are dangerous. Thus people are terrified of stop bath after they enjoy their health salad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    ... Don't have to write up lab reports afterwards either.
    When it comes to alternative photographic processes your "lab report" finds a much bigger (and some might say more appreciative :o) audience on this forum

My difficulty when it comes to mixing chemical solutions was the conundrum we faced in first grade chemistry class where we took 50ml of methylated spirit and 50ml of water then had to explain why the combined solution only added up to 95ml.

Of course i know now that it's molecular size, but I wonder sometimes if this is taken into account in mixing instructions, or whether the differences are negligible?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike;

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is not molecular size that causes the "shrinkage".

And yes it is taken into consideration. In my above description, it is the reason why one must specify what the combined units are (wt/wt, wt/vol, vol/wt etc.)...

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Mike;

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is not molecular size that causes the "shrinkage".

PE
    Hi PE,

Now that my bubble is well and truly burst, what IS the reason for the shrinkage?

(I wonder if my chemistry teacher is a subscriber? )

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike;

That is way beyond the scope of APUG (MEANING: I forget! )

No, actually, it is a mix of hydrogen bonding, Van Der Waals forces. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Waals_force

There are a few other things that enter into this as well.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Now that my bubble is well and truly burst, what IS the reason for the shrinkage?
    It's because when the water and the alcohol mix, they get cold. And when things get cold, we all know there is shrinkage. Yes. Significant shrinkage! Like a frightened turtle...

(My appologies to Jerry Seinfeld.)
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, some alcohol/water mixtures warm up as does sulfuric acid/water when mixed. Some shrink and some expand depending on the forces and bonding involved.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Since we got to temperature variations during dissolution, which chemical causes temperature to increase when mixing D76 and Xtol? Is it sulfite? I noticed a 3 degrees C increase when mixing my 5l batch of Xtol (18 -> 21).

TIA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin