Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,276   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Images

Mixing chemical question

When something says mix up a 10% solution of X how do I do that? Ratios I can handle. % solutions have me completely bamboozled. I have been looking on the net and my head is starting to hurt.

I need a layman's explanation.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    10% is 100gm per litre, dead easy.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian

But be careful that some chems take up more room in the liter than others. Starting with 1 liter then adding chems does not a correct percentage make.

And you don't want to add water to some chems such as acid as it may spit or explode acid everywhere.

Start with a portion of the water, maybe 75%, then add the chems, then top it off to a liter.

Cheers,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    Or 10 grams per 100 ml, or one gram per 10 ml . . . it's all 10 per cent.

Images
    Now why couldn't those sites say that. Damn. Thanks.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Percent can be either by volume or by weight. Be careful on what properties are used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    Percent can be either by volume or by weight. Be careful on what properties are used.
    Or they can be a mix of both

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you add 10 grams of Sodium Chloride to 80 ml of water and then dilute to 100 ml, you have a 10% wt/vol solution.

If you add 10 ml of Alcohol to 80 ml of water and then dilute to 100 ml with water, you have a 10% vol/vol solution.

If you add 10 grams of alcohol to 80 grams of water and then dilute to 100 grams, you have a 10% wt/wt solution.

If you add 10 ml of Alcohol to 80 grams of water and then dilute to 100 grams you have a 10% vol/wt solutoin.

Note that you can add water to make 100 grams or 100 ml. This gives a different solution in each case.

Each is different. Each will be almost the same but not quite. If you use the same method every time, it will at least be consistent.

I use wt/wt for viscous materials or in the dark as weight is easier to manage in these cases. I use wt / vol for solid-liquid and I use vol/vol for two liquids which are non viscous and when I am not dark as combinations of this sort are pretty much standard.

PE

Images
    I need to make a 9% solution of silver nitrate. Since it is a powder do I do wt/vol? Head ache is back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do wt/vol.

PE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin